Tuesday 10 May 2022

May 10, 1992: Two whole days selling flowers in the sun left me wickedly burned


Thirty years ago today

            I was lucky to get out on a truck to sell flowers on Mother’s Day. The flower place was swamped with sellers, and they were turning away anyone with a number over 200. I was lucky enough to have a reputation for high quotas and so they sent me up to North York with the same driver as the day before. I didn’t do as well as I’d hoped and only sold about twice as much as Saturday, bringing home around $230 for myself. I got a bunch of mini-carnations and went home on my own to nurse my sunburn. Two whole days in the sun left my shoulders and face in wicked condition. I put skin cream all over my face but when I went to bed it was very hard to sleep because there was no position that didn’t burn. I’d been hoping for a call from a woman but now I kind of hoped she wouldn’t call until the peeling was done.

No comments:

Post a Comment