Friday 6 May 2022

May 6, 1992: I asked the judge for an adjournment until I could seek counsel


Thirty years ago today

            On Wednesday morning I went to court, and I had to wait around because I couldn’t find my name on the list. Finally, I found the courtroom I was supposed to go to, but I still couldn’t find my name. But then Porter’s lawyer came in and showed me that my name was there after all. It turned out that the landlords were still going to use the excuse of Mark needing my place for himself. This took me by surprise because I’d thought that I was just fighting being evicted for owing back rent, which I’d paid. I called the legal clinic for advice but there were no lawyers to talk with. I asked the judge for an adjournment until I could seek counsel. My next date would be June 5. On my way out of court, some lawyer gave me his card. I went and applied for Legal Aid.

No comments:

Post a Comment