Tuesday 17 May 2022

May 17, 1992: On my daughter's first birthday I took her to the lake and a big wave smashed into us


Thirty years ago today

            On Sunday it was almost 10:00 before I got up to Nancy’s because the subway didn’t open until 9:00. My daughter was asleep when I arrived but when she woke up, I blew some bubbles for her. We went to the park while Nancy got ready. When I brought her back, Nancy spent a lot of time taking pictures of her and trying to work the video camera. It was almost 13:00 by the time we finally left. That pissed me off, but I tried to contain myself because it was my daughter’s first birthday. We went to my place where I got my trunks and then we headed for the pool. We stopped at Shoppers Drug Mart on the way back to my place. The baby didn’t seem interested in opening the present I’d bought her. We went to the lakeshore near Neville Park. I was changing her diaper and she was soiled with shit and so I took her to the water to clean her off. While I was doing that a big wave came and smashed into us. It started raining and so we went to Licks where the baby ate French fries and then had fun in the playroom. Nancy wanted to go to the Cinesphere, but I said the baby wouldn’t appreciate it and this was her day. After an argument, we went to my place. I partially opened my daughter’s present and then she tore off the wrapping to find the bead maze that I’d bought her. She started playing with it right away. We didn’t want her to eat sugar yet and so we gave her some sweet fruit. She ate a fig but didn’t seem to like bananas. She went to sleep and so did her mother. Nancy’s sister Susan came quite late to pick them up, without a car seat for the baby, while they were still sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment