Monday 22 August 2022

August 22, 1992: Maria argued animals are as conscious as humans but I said they aren't


Thirty years ago today

            On Saturday evening Maria Kasstan and I walked to the subway together after posing at the little art school on Dundas West. On our way, we had an argument about the consciousness of animals. She insisted that they are just as conscious as humans, and I said they aren't. I told her that their vocabularies consist only of vowel sounds. 
            I decided to go and pick my daughter up from her grandparents. I called them from Warden Station and told them I would be there in twenty minutes. Her grandfather was waiting in the car at the bus stop and the baby cried when she saw me. Her grandfather had brought her with no hat and none of her other stuff and so I insisted that we drive back to his house and get it. The bus was still there when we got back. My daughter was asleep when I got her home.

No comments:

Post a Comment