Sunday 14 August 2022

Ken Karris


            On Saturday morning I memorized the second verse of "J'en ai autant pour toi" (I Feel the Same About You) by Serge Gainsbourg, and almost nailed down the last verse. I should have it done tomorrow. 
            I weighed 84.9 kilos before breakfast. 
            In the late morning, I went down to No Frills. All the grapes were too soft and so I got peaches, strawberries, organic bananas, and raspberries. I also got a large pack of ground beef, Sunlight dish detergent, dental floss, kettle chips, skyr, sliced dill pickles, spoon-sized shredded wheat, and lemonade. I wanted to buy some Folgers coffee but there was none on the shelves. However, I noticed some in the back of the storage area at the top of the shelves, so I stepped on the lower shelf and stretched my arm to knock some down. 
            I weighed 85.2 kilos before lunch. I had saltines with five-year-old cheddar and a glass of limeade. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back.
            I weighed 84.8 kilos at 17:00. 
            Because I'd gone to bed early last night I didn't get caught up on my journal until 18:43 today. 
            I reviewed four more videos of me playing my song "Sixteen Tons of Dogma". June 21 and June 22 were the two days with crackling on the Ableton audio recording and so I can't use the video anyway, but on June 21 I fumbled the D#, and June 22 was one of the worst. June 23 was okay but one chord was off in the epilogue; June 24 was going really well in the final take until I fumbled. 
            I uploaded the video that I shot yesterday of me lip-synching "No" to Brian Haddon's part in my song "Instructions for Electroshock Therapy". I imported it into Movie Maker and the image was on its side, so I used the "rotate 270 degrees effect and published it. It took almost half an hour, but the resulting movie was still on its side. I tried saving the project in Movie Maker and then published it but the same thing happened. Maybe I should have saved the project again after naming the project. It's saved now but I don't have time to try publishing it again tonight because this already made my dinner cold. 
            I grilled four ground beef burgers in the oven and had one on toasted Bavarian sandwich bread with ketchup, Dijon, dill pickle, and scotch bonnet sauce. I ate it with a beer while watching four Bugs Bunny cartoons from 1959. 
            The first story was somewhat of a remake of two earlier ones. In one of them, Bugs gets mixed up with a kangaroo baby in the stork's bundle and taken to a kangaroo mother; in the other, he arrives in a barrel on an island of apes where an expectant mother thinks that the stork delivered him. The second story was closer to this last one with the addition of the stork. In this case, the stork is drunk and has lost a gorilla baby and so he shanghais Bugs Bunny with a club to the head, dresses him as a baby, and delivers him. Bugs decides to play along as before. Elvis, the father gorilla keeps trying to abuse him. At first, Bugs gets the worst of it but with the protection of the mother, Elvis gets a lot of rolling pin wacks to the head. Elvis has to let Bugs repeatedly hit him in the head with a club. But then the stork returns with their real baby, and Bugs knows the jig is up. He tries to escape the angry Elvis. Elvis is above Bugs with a boulder when the mother walks up and gets hit. Elvis is taking his lumps again when the drunken stork comes and tells Bugs he's a mother. Inside the bundle is Daffy Duck. 
            The second story is another one in which Bugs has gotten lost and wound up in a faraway location. This time it's the Ozarks. Bugs sets up a home but above him in a tree is the house of a hillbilly buzzard and his son Elvis. The father says he smells food and tells Elvis to have a look. Elvis sees Bugs and sets about to catch him. Elvis puts the carrot beside Bugs's hole and grabs the hand that reaches up to grab it. But it's really a water hose with Bugs's glove on the end. Bugs turns on the water and it whips Elvis around, slamming him into tree after tree. Elvis aims his long gun at Bugs but Bugs places it on top of his head. Elvis steps back so he can aim lower but Bugs keeps stepping forward until Elvis steps backward off a cliff. Then Bugs puts on hillbilly woman drag and Elvis seems to be smitten at first but he sees through the disguise. He chases Bugs to his hole and says, "Come on out!" But Bugs tells him that's not the way to say it, and that he should say, "Come out at the count of four or I'll shoot!" But Elvis is math challenged and has a great deal of difficulty counting to four, as Bugs suspected he would. It gives Bugs time to rig a long pipe from Elvis's gun and up to his father's treehouse. Once that is finished, Bugs helps him count to four and the buckshot hits his father. In fact, Elvis keeps pulling the trigger every time he hears the number four. 
            In the third story the Warner Brothers Symphony Orchestra plays "Morning, Noon and Night in Vienna" by Franz Von Suppé with Bugs Bunny as the conductor. Bugs has to deal with a fly, which causes him to gesture and affect changes in the music. Also, his cuffs come loose and he makes more gestures to get them off his baton and his ankles. By the time he is done, there is no one in the amphitheatre and the only one applauding is the fly. 
            Baton Bunny was animated by Ken Harris, who started out as a race car builder and driver. He worked under the direction of Chuck Jones at Warner Brothers from 1937 until 1962. This is the longest any animator ever worked with a director. Dan Backslide from the cartoon The Dover Boys was a caricature of Harris. He was the main animator for the 1971 film "A Christmas Carol", the opening cartoon for "Return of the Pink Panther" and he also animated the dance sequence in "What's Opera Doc?" 
            The fourth story involves another wrong turn. Somewhere in the Middle East, a sultan is being entertained, but the performers have to stand over a trap door, and if he doesn't like the act, he pushes a button and the performer falls into a crocodile pit. First, it is an Arabic Dixieland band that falls, then Elvis gets dumped. When Bugs arrives he thinks he's in a movie theatre lobby and that the guard outside the sultan's chamber is the usher. Bugs gets tossed before the Sultan and begins to recount tales of his past adventures. He tells part of the story of when he was a bullfighter; then the story of when he was in an evil scientist's castle and he had to avoid being killed by a monster by pretending to be an effeminate hairdresser; then he tells of meeting the stupidest character of all, Yosemite Sam, in the Sahara desert. He recounts how Sam tried to get into the fortress where he had taken shelter. Bugs says, "That Yosemite Sam! What a maroon!" But now we see that the sultan is Yosemite Sam. He pushes the trap door button but nothing happens because Bugs has shut off the power. Sam goes to jump up and down on the trap door and Bugs switches it on. Sam treads air above the biting mouths of the crocks and runs away, and it looks like Bugs is the new sultan, as he's wearing a turban on each of his ears. 
            I searched for bedbugs and found none for the second night in a row.
            Before bed, I tried publishing the movie of myself again to see if it would be upright, but didn't have time to check if it worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment