Saturday 6 August 2022

Edie Brickell


            On Friday morning I woke up with a crick in my neck but it gradually mostly went away during yoga. 
            I finished the document that indicates all the changes I've made to my poetry manuscript since submitting it to the publisher. I started a new document to hold the poems for my next book and started to transcribe the first poem, "Dimension-Four-Play", from an old typed hard copy.
            I memorized the seventh verse of "Suicide" by Serge Gainsbourg and almost nailed down the final verse. I should have the memorization complete tomorrow. 
            I weighed 85.6 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday, I pulled the big filing cabinet out from the southeast corner of the kitchen. But to do so I had to move everything that was on top of it, such as the plastic three-drawer shelf. Also, to get the cabinet out I had to lift the small metal filing cabinet out of the way. So the big cabinet didn't scratch the floor I slipped a blanket underneath and pulled on that. I brought the stepladder down from the landing between the second and third floor and washed and scrubbed the area where the walls meet from the ceiling to the floor. I still need to scrub the floor there but there was no time today, so I didn't put the filing cabinet back in place. It's not easily moved because it's not on wheels like the fridge, so I'll leave it in the middle of the kitchen until the floor and the cabinet are cleaned. 
            While I was working I listened to Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians. She has a nice voice, they are good musicians, and the songs are technically good, but not works of art and not lyrically interesting. There's some common-sense wisdom in some of the words but common sense lyrics are a dime a dozen. What I prefer to hear are more poetic lyrics like those of her husband, Paul Simon. I like her song "Circle" though, which I'd heard a few times before without knowing who did it. 
            I weighed 85 kilos before lunch. That's the lightest I've been at that time for several days. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I weighed 84.8 kilos at 17:00. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 17:38. 
            I reviewed five videos from this summer's recordings of my song practice. I looked at "Le Temps des Yo-Yo" and my translation, "Time of the Yo-Yo." On June 8 I did "Le Temps des Yo-Yo" fine but I was a little close to the camera. On June 10 my face was obscured by the pop-blocker and I flubbed this one anyway. On June 9 "Time of the Yo-Yo" was fine. On June 11 the pop blocker was not obscuring my face, but I dulled the chords a few times. On June 13 I dulled and buzzed some of the chords. 
            In the Movie Maker project for my song "Instructions for Electroshock Therapy" I edited the lightning footage from a minute down to 27 seconds. I'll shave off some more tomorrow and then insert it in segments into the main video, alternating them with segments of the concert video when we played the slow instrumental. 
            I finished sorting through the sixth folder of my writing. Then I separated the folder that contains my poetry written before 1993 and after 2000 into two pretty much equal-sized folders. I started on a seventh folder that contains mostly relationship therapy stuff. 
            I had a big potato with gravy and two small chicken drumsticks while watching two Bugs Bunny cartoons from 1954 and another two from 1955. In the first story, a freeway is being built that will destroy Bugs Bunny's home. The big road worker tells Bugs that if he doesn't move they'll blast him out. Bugs says he's not moving. The man surrounds Bugs's hole with explosives and detonates them but it creates a canyon that surrounds a tower with a hole in the top. The man climbs a ladder to get to the hole but Bugs saws the ladder and sends the man falling into a mold of cement. He starts to walk away but the cement turns him into a statue. The man uses a big saw on the tower but the saw hits a high voltage line. The man flies over the hole with a helicopter and drops a bomb inside, but it bounces off Bugs's bed and back up into the chopper to explode. The man drives a crane with a sixty-ton weight to drop on the tower. Bugs comes out disguised as a supervisor and gives the man directions that end with the weight being over him and then released. The man goes up on scaffolding to drop a stick of dynamite down the hole. But before he can light the fuse, Bugs lights another fuse at the bottom of the scaffolding that travels up to ignite the dynamite. The man dumps cement over the tower but it serves only to fortify it. The city compromises and curves the freeway around Bugs's tower. 
            In the second story, Bugs's nephew Clyde is having trouble with his US history homework. Bugs decides to help him out with a story of US history. He says that before there were skyscraping buildings in Manhattan there were skyscraping tepees. At that time the Statue of Liberty was just a little girl. Before the Revolution King George visited the warehouse in Boston and put tacks on the tea. The colonists refused to drink tea with tacks and so they had a revolution. George Washington received a draft notice. Clyde goes to school and comes home very angry at Uncle Bugs for causing him to fail his test. 
            The third story is another variation on Jack and the Beanstalk. Daffy Duck is Jack and he just traded a cow for three beans. He tosses the beans into Bugs's hole and a gigantic beanstalk grows. Jack knows the story and so he decides to climb to get the jewels that the story says are at the top. Halfway up he finds Bugs sleeping in a bed on one of the branches. Thinking that Bugs is after the jewels, Jack kicks him off the beanstalk. Bugs decides to enter the story. At the top, Jack encounters Elmer Fudd as the giant. Jack decides money isn't everything and runs back to the beanstalk but Bugs stops him and says, "Let me handle this." Bugs tells the giant there is no rabbit in the story of Jack and the Beanstalk story and the duck is Jack. Jack and Bugs argue over which of them is Jack until Elmer grabs them both. They are placed under a glass case while Elmer prepares to grind their bones. But Bugs has a glass cutter and they escape. Bugs tries to crawl through a hole but Jack stops him and says, "That's my hiding place!" It turns out to be a mouse trap and Jack gets snapped out of shape. They run inside of Elmer's ears. He decides to smoke them out. He plugs his ears and tries to light a cigarette but they keep poking their heads out of the end of the fag and blowing out the match. Bugs trips Elmer and he gets knocked out. Bugs says they better leave but Jack still wants the jewels. So Bugs heads for the beanstalk but comes across a garden of giant carrots and decides to stay. Bugs wonders what happened to Jack and we see that he is now the mechanism of Elmer's watch, saying "tick, tick, tick ..." with one of his arms telling the minute and one telling the hour. 
            In the fourth story, Elmer J. Fudd is a multimillionaire and in charge of a mega-corporation. But he thinks he is a rabbit and so his shareholders have him committed to Fruit Cake Sanitarium. From his cell, Elmer sees Bugs walk by and holds up a carrot to attract him. Bugs opens the window and Elmer escapes. Bugs decides to stay and enjoy the carrots. The doctor thinks Bugs is Elmer and so sets about to cure him with medication and therapy. The result is that Bugs leaves the asylum thinking he is Elmer Fudd. His chauffeur reminds him that it is his hunting day and so Bugs puts on Elmer's hunting gear and starts hunting rabbits. He finds Elmer in a hole and now a lot of the gags that appeared in the first encounter between Bugs and Elmer are replayed in reverse. Now Bugs gets the experience of everything he tries backfiring, including his gun. After several mishaps, Bugs corners Elmer and says, "No rabbit is going to outsmart Elmer J. Fudd. Suddenly a revenue agent taps on Bugs's shoulder and asks if he said he was Elmer Fudd and when Bugs confirms he is, he is arrested for tax evasion. Elmer says, "I may be a screwy rabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatraz." This suggests that Elmer was only faking insanity to avoid incarceration. 
            I did a search for bedbugs and found none for the second night in a row.

No comments:

Post a Comment