Thursday 25 August 2022

August 25, 1992: I failed my driving test because of a cold and mean examiner


Thirty years ago today

            Tom Smarda called me on Monday to say he would be available to babysit on Tuesday while I went to take my driving test. He came at around 10:50, which was cutting it close because I had nearly nothing ready for the baby. At first, my daughter was scared of him, but he got her doodling with a pen and then I snuck out. My instructor and I drove to Oshawa and practiced for two hours. It felt like I was pretty well ready for the test and my instructor told me that I had a good chance. But the examiner was a very cold person and I made two mistakes. I passed a parked car without signaling and I stayed too long in a lane that was ending, so I failed. I drove the car back to Toronto and my instructor told me that the same examiner had failed him when he first tried for his teaching license. He said that shortly after that he passed the test at another location. He agreed to make another appointment for me to be tested at a different place. The baby was asleep when I got back. Tom told me that she'd started screaming when she'd realized I was gone, but later she calmed down and they went for a walk at Kew Gardens. Tom left and my daughter woke up at around 17:45.

No comments:

Post a Comment