Friday 26 August 2022

Early Nick Cave Sounds Like Jim Morrison on PCP


            On Thursday morning I published my translation of "C'est comment qu'on freine" by Serge Gainsbourg as "That's Not the Gas it's the Brakes" Tomorrow I'll start learning his next song on my 1982 list. 
            I weighed 86 kilos before breakfast. 
            After a full shave and a shower, I only had time before lunch to clean most of the dirt from the sliding window grooves on the right side of my kitchen window set. So, the sliding windows will stay out for another day, but hopefully, I'll be able to get some or all of them cleaned and back in place on Friday. 
            I've been listening to the Nick Cave discography, beginning with his first punk band The Birthday Party. They sounded like The Doors would sound if they were overdosing on horse tranquilizer. The very first Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds album is refreshingly good and creative, especially Cave's cover of Leonard Cohen's Avalanche. In the second and third albums he starts to wear the drag of his obsession with the southern United States. There are a lot of covers and their version of Lou Reed's "All Tomorrow's Parties" sounds almost exactly like that done by The Velvet Underground and so what's the point? On his cover of Wanted Man by Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash he ruins the punch line. The song is supposed to make the listener think that the speaker is on the run because they are wanted by the police and then hits us with the surprise that the person is actually on the run from several former lovers. But Cave ruins it by adding another list of places where the speaker is wanted and returning to the implication that it's the law the speaker is running from. 
            On the third album, they sound a lot like the Cowboy Junkies but the album came out two months before the Cowboy Junkies' first album, so it can't be a rip-off. 
            I weighed 85.5 kilos before lunch. That's the lightest I've been at that hour in six days. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown, and on the way back I stopped at Freshco. I bought five bags of cherries, a pint of strawberries, a pack of blueberries, a bunch of regular bananas, a bunch of organic bananas, three bags of skim milk, a jug of orange juice, and a jug of limeade. I was looking for Sunlight dish detergent but there was none on the shelves. I noticed a box in the upper storage area and got a nearby employee to take it down. It contained the large bottles for laundry, which I didn't want and so he took down another box that had the right ones. 
            I weighed 84.9 kilos at 18:00. That's the lightest I've been at that hour in eleven days. 
            I was caught up on my journal just before 19:00. 
            In the Movie Maker project for my June 19 song practice, I synchronized the video with the audio. Then I started a separate project for my song "Sixteen Tons of Dogma" as it was recorded that day. I trimmed everything before the third take. Tomorrow I'll cut out a little more from the minute before I start singing again, and then I'll delete everything after the finale. I'll probably have time to render the song as a movie and upload it to YouTube. 
            In the Movie Maker project for my song "Instructions for Electroshock Therapy" I synchronized the concert video with the studio audio after the line, "We're looking for the threshold ..." when I sing "in shock therapy." But then it goes out of synch again for the line, "But if convulsive codes have not been reached". So, I'll have to find another clip that will fit that line. 
            I had a potato with gravy and two chicken wings while watching two Bugs Bunny features from Christmas of 1979. 
            The first feature was a new short that begins on Christmas Eve at the North Pole, where Santa is asking Martha Clause if his clothes are dry yet because he has to leave soon. Meanwhile, a plane is flying overhead that is transporting the Tasmanian Devil in a crate. Taz breaks loose and parachutes out, falling on the clothes line and inside of Santa's suit, then bounces off the line and into Santa's sleigh. I guess the reindeer think Taz is Santa and they take off. Meanwhile, in Bugs Bunny's house, Bugs is reading "The Night Before Christmas" to his nephew, Clyde. When he gets to the line, "Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse" we see Speedy Gonzales sitting by the fire and stirring a drink in a mug. He says, "I'm stirring, and I'm a mouse!" When he gets to the line, "Then all of a sudden there arose such a clatter ..." there arises a clatter. Bugs sends his nephew to bed because Santa Clause has a thing about kids staying up too late. When Taz comes down the chimney Bugs greets him as Santa Clause. He feeds him milk and cookies and Taz eats the plate and the glass too. Bugs reads Taz his nephew's Christmas wish list which includes, "a trip to Venus, a hockey team of world championship quality, controlling interest in IBM, Frank Sinatra's old address book ..." Meanwhile Taz is eating the Christmas ornaments, which doesn't phase Bugs. He just tells him to watch out for the green bulb because it's not ripe. He tells Taz to come over to the fireplace and he'll make him some popcorn. He hands the jar of raw popping corn to Taz and says he'll go get the popper, but Taz eats the kernels, and they begin to pop in his stomach. Bugs hands Taz a gift-wrapped present and tells him not to unwrap it there. Taz goes outside and opens it. The gift is a self-inflating life raft, which Taz eats. It inflates and Taz begins floating away. In the end, Bugs and his nephew drive Santa's sleigh back to the North Pole to return it.
            The second feature is a special called Looney Christmas Tales. It begins with Bugs Bunny conducting a chorus of carolers consisting of Elmer Fudd, Porky Pig, Yosemite Sam, Pepe Le Pew and Foghorn Leghorn. 
            The first story is the "Christmas Carol" adaptation from the previous year with Yosemite Sam as Scrooge. In the end, when Scrooge turns generous, we hear Sam say that he was only play-acting and he wants his money back. 
            The second segment is a Wile E Coyote-Roadrunner chase. Wile E reads that roadrunners are easy to catch in snow and so he orders a cloud seeder that makes snowfall. But every time he uses it the machine causes a big blob of snow to bury him. No matter what distance he stands from the machine, it drops the snow on him. Then as Wile E is walking in the desert, he sees in the distance snow-capped mountains. He switches the road sign "Snow Summit" with "Desert Crossing" and the Roadrunner heads for the mountains. When the bird runs out onto a frozen lake, he stops and appears confused. Wile E dons speed skates and effortlessly skates around the Roadrunner until he isolates the bird on a circle of ice. The ice surrounding the circle sinks and so does Wile E. The Roadrunner makes the disk of ice travel like a motorboat and Wile E is frozen in an ice cube. Wile E uses jet-propelled skis and slams into a tree. Wile E orders a dogsled and twelve dogs, but when he opens the crate, the dogs pull him in and rip his fur off. Then Wile E skis down a hill on a rocking horse while twirling a lasso, which winds around and binds him as the horse goes over a cliff and lands on a railroad track and Wile E gets hit by a train. Wile E rolls a giant snowball but gets caught in it as it goes over a cliff and lands on top of him.
            The third story is the same as the first feature. 
            In the end Bugs and the carolers are riding and singing in a sleigh that is somehow being pulled by the Tasmanian Devil even though he is not attached to the sleigh but only to the reins held by Bugs. Suddenly the sleigh is gone because Taz ate it. 
            I searched for bedbugs and for the second night in a row I found none. If the pattern holds, I'll find one tomorrow and have to start the count all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment