Thursday 17 August 2023

Adelaide Kane


            On Wednesday morning I finished working out the chords for the second verse of "Être ou ne pas naître" (To Be or Not to Be) by Serge Gainsbourg. Then the third verse is just a repetition of the first verse and the fourth verse has the same chords. I might have the song finished on Thursday. 
            I audio and video recorded my song practice while playing the Martin acoustic guitar. I did several retakes of "Megaphor" but I got through "Sixteen Tons of Dogma" in one try. I did a lot of retakes of some of the other songs too and only made it as far as the middle of a third take of "Like a Boomerang" before the camera timed out. When I stopped the recording there was a message that some of the recording had been lost due to other apps competing for power but when I listened to the playback I didn't notice anything missing. 
            I weighed 84.3 kilos before breakfast. 
            I was scheduled to meet Brian Haddon at the Rhino at 13:00 and so I took an early bike ride at noon because I knew there wouldn't be time later. I rode downtown and back and when I stopped in front of the Rhino, Brian was already waiting for me. We were the first and only customers on the patio for a long time. We shared a pitcher of Creemore, I had the pulled pork sandwich and he had the fish and chips. I decided to pick up the tab. We talked for about two and a half hours. I told him about my landlord problems. His building is much better managed than mine is. I waited with him until his streetcar came and we talked about maybe getting together again in the fall. 
            I got home at around 16:00 and took a siesta at 16:10. I got up at 17:40. I delivered the work orders to every tenant but Benji. Cesar didn't seem to understand what I was giving him. He complained that I make too much noise and I told him I'd try to be quieter. 
            I weighed 85 kilos at 18:00, which is the heaviest I've been in seventeen days. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 19:25. 
            I reviewed this morning's song practice video and I think there might be some good takes of some of the songs. In a month I'll start more closely going through these videos song by song to find the best takes. 
            In the Movie Maker project for creating a video of my song "Sleep in the Snow" I cut the clip of Marlene Dietrich from two minutes to eleven seconds and so now it just shows her looking elegantly languid on the chaise lounge. I probably only need about three seconds of it to insert into the main video and fit the line "I guess I'm just too lazy". I'll work on that on Thursday. 
            I made pizza on naan with Basilica sauce and five-year-old cheddar and had it with a beer while watching season 2, episode 3 of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
            In this story La'an encounters a wounded man in a corridor of the Enterprise. He's wearing a 21st Century suit and tie and is suffering from a 21st Century gunshot wound. He tells her the timeline is in danger, hands her a device and tells her to take it to the bridge. Then he dies and disappears. When he vanishes a flash of energy travels through the corridor. 
            She goes to the bridge and finds herself in an alternate timeline. Captain James T Kirk is now the captain and he doesn't know her. She asks to speak with him in private and learns that he has never heard of Starfleet. He's a captain in the United Earth Fleet. He tries to take the device away from her and they end up pushing a button that sends them back in time to 21st Century Toronto. 
            It's winter and so they steal some clothes from a store. When they realize they are in a time that requires currency Kirk plays for money at an outdoor chess table and defeats opponent after opponent until they have enough money to rent a luxurious hotel room. The only main difference about this timeline is the bridge they see from their hotel room window which is the longest bridge in the world, crossing Lake Ontario to Niagara. 
            Kirk questions why he should help La'an since saving her timeline would destroy his. Instead he could stay where he is and enjoy hot dogs, poutine, sunshine and booze. Suddenly the bridge explodes. They investigate and La'an recognizes the charring on the debris is from a patonic bomb, which is 22nd Century technology or later. They see some people removing a piece of debris and putting it into a van. Kirk steals a car and follows the van but his driving attracts the police. It's unrealistic that the cop would be alone in the cruiser. They are about to be arrested when a woman tells the police she is recording them with her phone and that Kirk is a famous civil rights attorney from the US. Also unrealistically the cops let them go. 
            The woman introduces herself as Sera and appears to be a conspiracy theorist who believes that aliens sabotaged the bridge to slow down human progress. They go to the Lakeview Lunch where Kirk has an orgasm eating poutine. Sera shows them photos on her tablet and one of them is of a Romulan ship in the air. She says she's heard there is an experimental cold fusion reactor in Toronto. Kirk tells La'an that according to history, in a few days it will be destroyed and wipe out Toronto. La'an says if they had a tricorder they could find it easily. 
            Then they pass a store displaying a map of Vermont. La'an and Kirk drive to Vermont where they find the rundown store called The Archaeology Department which is run by Pelia, who still looks the same age as she does in La'an's time because she's a Lanthanite. But it seems that only in the future does Pelia take up engineering because now she knows nothing about it. La'an mentions that if they had tritium it would light up when they are near the reactor. Pelia happens to have some tritium watches from the 1980s and gives them one. 
            They go back to Toronto and walk around outside the ROM. They kiss and start falling for each other. The watch starts glowing and they use it to find the facility with the reactor. The locked door opens when it scans her hand because she shares DNA with her ancestor Khan. But suddenly they are confronted by Sera who has a gun and turns out to be a disguised Romulan who is there to assassinate Khan. Kirk challenges her to shoot because he's sure she won't but she does and kills him. She forces La'an into the facility and they reach the door of the room where Khan lives. La'an fights with Sarah and eventually gets hold of the gun and kills her. 
            La'an enters the room and meets the ten year old Khan. He's afraid she's going to kill him but she dries his tears and tells him he's right were he needs to be. She pushes the button on the device and goes back to her timeline. In her quarters is a time agent from the future who tells her she saved the timeline but can't tell anybody about it. 
            La'an calls Lieutenant Kirk on the ship where he's serving under the pretence of getting information about his brother's place of birth. After she hangs up she cries. 
            This was one of the best Star Trek episodes ever. 
            Sera was played by Adelaide Kane, who started acting at the age of six. Her first major role was at the age of sixteen when she was cast as Lolly Allen in the Australian soap opera Neighbours. She played Tenaya on Power Rangers RPM. She played Mary Queen of Scots in Reign. She played a regular role on Teen Wolf. She plays Jules Millin on Grey's Anatomy.



No comments:

Post a Comment