Sunday 6 August 2023

Bunny Summers


            On Saturday morning I memorized the seventh verse of "Au bon vieux temps" (In the Good Old Days) by Boris Vian. There are five verses left to learn. 
            I started editing the text positions and chord placements of "Pour ce que tu n’étais pas" (For Someone You Were Not) by Serge Gainsbourg in Christian's Translations to prepare it for publication on the blog. I should have it posted tomorrow. 
            I video and audio recorded song practice while playing my Martin acoustic guitar. After the session I increased the volume of "Megaphor". I can't figure out how to just select one side of a stereo track in Audacity. Supposedly it can be done by selecting "split stereo track". I didn't really need to split it today because I wanted to amplify both sides. My focus is on getting electric and acoustic video takes of "Megaphor" that are as good as the ones from July 6 and 7 but which I couldn't use because of the screwy Ableton audio recordings with the continuous and extreme reverb. 
            I weighed 84.8 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday I went down to No Frills where they didn't seem to have any cherries and so I got the only three bags of grapes that weren't horribly soft. Later while standing in the checkout line I saw they'd moved the cherries to the side and so I bought two bags. I also got a pack of beef rib finger meat, a loaf of cinnamon-raisin bread, dish detergent, mouthwash, Basilica sauce, salsa, kettle chips, spoon size shredded wheat, a bag of peppercorns, and three small containers of skyr. 
            I weighed 84.9 kilos before lunch. I had the last of my Breton crackers with five-year-old cheddar and a glass of limeade. 
            I weighed 84.5 kilos at 17:00. 
            I spent half an hour chiseling slate. I tried to free up a green spiral fossil but it broke in two. There's another bigger one that I'll try to get later. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:21. 
            I reviewed the video of this morning's song practice and it was generally a pretty good session. I played a good take of "Megaphor" eight minutes in. I fumbled words on a couple of the French songs but eventually did okay takes. I'm starting to feel optimistic about redoing this summer's recording project from now to the middle of September to make up for how the audio for the sessions from June 1 to July 15 got ruined by Ableton's reverb. 
            In Movie Maker I tried to synchronize the beginning of the vocal from the concert video of Sleep in the Snow with that of the studio audio. The concert vocal starts just ahead of the studio vocal. I tried to fix it by deleting some small parts of the video but then I realized that would make the video even earlier and so I undid it. What I need is to add some video to push the video vocal so it arrives a split second later. Maybe a clip of snow falling at night. 
            I scanned the strip of black and white negatives that contains the shots I took of my ex-girlfriend Diane Hein a few seconds after I first approached her in 1986 with the pick-up line, "Do you mind if I take your picture?" 


            I scanned most of a set of colour negs from December of 1987 that has some shots of my friend Tom Smarda, shots of my late friend Mike Copping, and shots of my colleagues when I was working as a waiter at Tangerine. 
            I made pizza on naan with Basilica sauce, two cut up souvlaki, and five-year-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching season 4, episodes 14 and 15 of Petticoat Junction. 
            In the first story the Every Other Wednesday Discussion Group that meets in Kate's hotel has been selected by the Association of Women's Clubs Recording Secretaries to send their secretary to its annual meeting in Eagle Springs, Wisconsin. The keeper of minutes for Kate's group has been Billie Joe since she was sixteen. But Salma Plout disputes the choice of Billie since she was never officially voted as the group's secretary. Salma wants to hold a vote of the group to decide whether Billie Joe or Salma's daughter Henrietta should be secretary and therefore get to take the all expenses paid trip. But the vote is a tie. Henrietta proposes a shorthand and typing contest between her and Billie. She does so because she doesn't think she should be the secretary as she has no shorthand or typing skills whatsoever and wants to get it over with. Her mother just wants her to win and she doesn't care about merit. For some stupid reason Billie Joe throws the contest so Henrietta will win and Kate thinks that is a great thing to do. 
            One of the members was played by Bunny Summers, who started acting in theatre in the 1940s. She appeared on Broadway as Minnie the mother of the Marx Brothers in the play "Minnie's Boys". She didn't begin doing movies and television until the 1960s, probably because she took the time to raise her three daughters. Her first TV appearance was in Petticoat Junction in 1966. 
           
           


            

            In the second story Homer Bedloe arrives with another scheme. He rules that the Cannonball requires a general manager and he appoints Uncle Joe because he knows it will be a disaster. Joe immediately becomes a tyrant and insists on a tight schedule that causes people to miss the train and spooks milk cows. It's not long before everybody in the valley is mad at Joe, including the Charlie the engineer and Floyd the conductor who quit. Joe tries to run the train by himself but winds up smashing the Cannonball into Pixley Station. Another part of Bedloe's plot is that the railroad president, Norman Curtis is coming as part of his inspection tour of all the C & FW lines. Kate sends Charlie and Floyd to get Newt Kylie's tractor and Ben Miller's bulldozer and try to use them to get the Cannonball back on the track. Meanwhile she tries to stall Norman, which is fairly easy for her to do because they are old friends. She distracts him with her cooking and an after dinner singalong of "Sweet Adeline". Norman spends the night and in the morning the train arrives just in time. Bedloe is very disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment