Sunday 13 August 2023

Frank De Vol


            On Saturday morning I finished memorizing "Être ou ne pas naître" (To Be or Not to Be) by Serge Gainsbourg and searched for the chords. No one posted them and so I worked the first couple out for the first verse. 
            I audio and video recorded my song practice while playing my Martin acoustic guitar. The light wasn't very good and so I had all the lights on but I don't know if the video will be in focus. I saved today's session in Audacity and then I highlighted the final take of Megaphor. I added reverb to it and for some reason that lowered the volume and so I amplified it. It came out louder than the original and I think it sounded better. I skimmed through the rest of the audio and a lot of it sounded good. I exported the changed file and kept the unchanged one in Audacity to use if I need a clean file later. On Sunday and Monday I'll play the electric guitar. 
            I weighed 84.3 kilos before breakfast. 
            I weighed 84.7 kilos before lunch. I went for lunch with my upstairs neighbour David. He wanted to go to the TO Lounge but it was closed, so we walked to The Burger Lab at Dufferin. We sat at a table waiting for service but then realized we had to climb a stairs to order. They should have a sign letting people know there's no table service. We each had their classic burger. The counter person brought our order to the table but didn't bring any condiments. I asked for tabasco but they don't have it and after I asked she brought ketchup in those messy little packages. There was also no salt for the fries. The burger was okay but not worth the hassle. I told David that my neighbour Benji started swearing at me when I was playing my music and swore even more when I told him all he had to do was ask me to turn it down and I would. David said he would have slapped him. 
            David is coming on Sunday to my place because I've organized a meeting with Cole Webber to come and talk to us about tenant organization. My other upstairs neighbour Shawn will be there too. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I weighed 84.1 kilos at 17:00. 
            I chiseled some more green fossils from slate. I only have three rocks left: one that I could almost hide in my fist, another the size of a pinball and a third the size of a marble. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:20. 
            I reviewed this morning's video of my song practice. The take of "Megaphor" that I started at around 4:30 seems okay. I got "Sixteen Tons of Dogma" down in a couple of takes. A lot of the songs were all right. The camera timed out just after my third fumble of "Leave the Naïve Alone". 
            I searched some more for video clips of the first human attempts at flight and found one more, so now I have five videos. I'll decide which to download tomorrow. 
            I finished scanning a set of negatives from March of 1987, mostly with shots of my ex-girlfriend Brenda but also of my former roommate and drummer Mike Martin and shots of an exquisitely beautiful old woman. I started a new set of black and whites that so far are all street shots and I assume they are from around 1987 too. 
            I made pizza on naan with Basilica sauce and five-year-old cheddar. I smelled garlic cooking earlier today and since then I was craving it, so I chopped up a clove and sprinkled it on. I added five-year-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching season 4, episodes 28 and 29 of Petticoat Junction.
            In the first story Joe and Sam are in the woods at night when they see two strange lights. While walking towards them they meet a man who says his name is Isaac Newton and he's a geophysicist. Sam asks what a geophysicist is and Joe answers that it's someone who doesn't eat meat. They ask Isaac about the lights and he says it's his camper, then the lights go out. He says he's lost and asks them to lead him to the hotel. They ask how he knows there's a hotel. He says it's on the map. They think it's strange the Shady Rest would be on a map but they take him to the hotel. Meanwhile Steve is relating to Kate that earlier that day he was flying and the instruments went dead on his plane. Newton arrives with Joe and Sam and when they hear he's a scientist they ask him for an explanation for Steve's instruments going out. He offers that it could have been caused by the radioactive rocks he's collected in his camper. Steve doesn't think a few radioactive rocks could have done it but Newton says they could, especially for a little puddle jumper like the one Steve flies. Steve asks how he knew he had a puddle jumper and Newton says it was just a guess. Newton asks Kate for room five with the southern exposure and Kate asks how he knew it had southern exposure. He says again that it was a guess. After Newton checks in, Sam and Steve go looking for his camper but it's disappeared. There are no tire tracks but something heavy was on the spot. The next day while cleaning Newton's room Betty Joe finds a typed list of everyone he met at the hotel last night even though he has no typewriter. Newton asks Joe if they got the lumbermill fire out in Pixley. Joe asks where he heard about a fire and Newton explains the phone rang and he answered it. Joe informs him the phone is not connected. Billie Joe comes home to confirm that there was a fire at the lumber mill in Pixley. Kate later asks Newton if he's from outer space. He says if he said yes he'd be locked up and if he said no he wouldn't be believed. Later she sees Newton in the non-functioning elevator. She tells him it's a dummy and walks away but then behind her she hears the sound of an elevator working. That night Newton checks out and everybody at the hotel sees flashing lights and hears an eerie whirring sound. Then they find that Newton paid his bill with antiquated US currency. They discover a notebook referring to the Hooterville Colonization Project with a conclusion that the area is "too primitive for our culture". 
            Newton was played by Frank De Vol, whose father had a pit orchestra for silent films and Frank was playing in the orchestra at 14. After dropping out of college he joined another orchestra. He later played with another band for which he also served as an arranger. In 1943 he formed his own band in California, which became the orchestra for various popular radio shows like that of Jack Carson, Betty White and Dinah Shore. In the 1950s he began writing film scores and was nominated for four Academy Awards. In the 1960s he wrote music for TV shows like Family Affair, My Three Sons, and The Brady Bunch. Around that time he also began writing songs with Mack David and Bobby Helfer, such as "I've Written a Letter to Daddy", "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?", and "Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte". He arranged the piano and strings for Nat King Cole's "Nature Boy". On the TV series "Fernwood 2 Night" and "America 2 Night" he played parodies of himself. He played Myron Bannister on "He's Dickens, I'm Fenster". 


            In the second story Billie Joe gets a singing gig in Omaha and asks her sisters to take care of Steve while she's gone. Bobbie Joe takes Steve to a dance and the next night Betty Joe takes him to a movie. They both confess to their mother that they are developing romantic feelings for Steve and they feel guilty about it. They both want to ask Steve to the picnic and so Kate suggests that they both take him. Billie Joe comes home while they are gone and Kate explains the situation. Billie is relieved because she fell for another guy while she was in Omaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment