Saturday 19 August 2023

Jess Bush


            On Friday morning I finished working out the chords for "Être ou ne pas naître" (To Be or Not to Be) by Serge Gainsbourg and played the song in French. Next I have to adjust my translation to my better understanding of the rhythm of the song. 
            I audio and video recorded my song practice while playing my Kramer electric guitar for the second day of four. I think some of the takes came out okay but during the best take of "Megaphor" a fly landed on my nose so I probably can't use the video for that take unless I aim to look silly. 
            I weighed 84.8 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday I did my laundry, including my new sheets and my new towel. The towel had a weird industrial-medicinal smell after I bought it but I was using it anyway. The cotton sheets smelled okay but I was hoping to shrink the fitted sheet. I assume it did shrink but not enough for me to notice.
            My kitchen drain pipe stopped leaking but now the sink just backs up slowly and then drains slowly. I tried baking soda and vinegar followed by hot water three times but it didn't affect whatever is blocking the drain. 
            I weighed 85.1 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I weighed 85 kilos at 17:30. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:18. 
            I reviewed this morning's song practice video. I think that the take of "Megaphor" at around 3:30 was not bad. I think I hit a few wrong chords on "Sixteen Tons of Dogma". My chipped front filling was somewhat noticeable but not extremely obvious. The friendly fly landed on my faced a couple of times. It sounded like the guitar was slightly out of tune although that wasn't obvious from listening to the Audacity audio this morning so maybe that's due to the lower quality of the camera microphone. 
            In the Movie Maker project for creating a music video of my song "Sleep in the Snow" I managed to synchronize the concert video with the studio audio for about half the first chorus. For the line, "Don't it make you wanna go to sleep in the snow" I just needed to remove a bit of the "wa" from the concert video. I took out a bit more after "Oh...", some more after the repeat of "Don't it make you wanna go to sleep in the snow", a bit more after , "Don't it make you wanna turn away and go", and more after, "Diving through a needle to the veins of nowhere". I left off trying to synchronize, "Hanging on to someone even though you know they don't care" by cutting more out after "nowhere". I'll tackle it again on Saturday. So far the concert video falls behind the studio audio because I hold the notes longer when I'm singing and so I don't have to add clips to line things up but rather take pieces away. 
            I had a potato with gravy and my last two pork ribs while watching season 2, episode 5 of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. 
            In this story Spock and Chapel are travelling by shuttle to a moon called Kerkohv where a highly advanced civilization once lived and then vanished. Above the moon is a strange energy anomaly that is a stable vortex and a rupture in space-time. The shuttle is pulled toward the anomaly and next we see Spock waking up in sick bay on the Enterprise. There was an accident and the Kerkohvians healed him but they also made him human. Pike makes contact with a Kerkohvian named Yellow who explains that the shuttle collided with their portal and so they repaired it and repaired Spock according to their laws. In repairing Spock they matched his DNA with that of his uninjured comrade, Chapel. Yellow says no further communication is necessary and cuts off contact. 
            Spock has to deal with human emotions and it puts him in a state similar to that of an adolescent human, with emotional outbursts and an enormous appetite. Vulcans not only control their emotions but also their appetites and sensations. Now Spock is overwhelmed. 
            Chapel is working very hard to find a cure. 
            Meanwhile Spock's fiancé T'Pring says that her mother insists on having their engagement dinner and its accompanying rituals sooner than expected. Spock's human mother Amanda arrives to help him prepare and she senses something wrong with her son. He has to confess that he is human. She coaches him in how to behave like a Vulcan to fool T'Pring and her family. Other members of the Enterprise crew help as well. Amanda shows how she has learned to withstand pain as Vulcans do by grabbing a tea pot with no handles from the stove. 
            The ceremony begins and T'Pring's mother shows she is the dominant figure in the family, also having control over T'Pring's father who would be more inclined to partake of the Vulcan delicacies that Pike has prepared if not for his wife. 
            Chapel has come up empty in a search for a cure and so she talks Ortegas and Uhura into coming with her to the portal to request of the Kerkohvians that they fix Spock. 
            Spock passes the tests with T'Pring's mother but the mind meld is approaching and it is something that's harder to fake. 
            Chapel, Uhura and Ortegas end up in Kerkohvian other dimensional space. Yellow tells her that her request is irregular because the complaint period has passed. Yellow wants to know her relationship with Spock. When she says he is her friend it is not enough to override policy. Chapel has to admit that she has strong feelings for Spock. Yellow reveals that when the shuttle crashed Spock put all of the shields around her and left himself vulnerable. 
            Just before the mind meld Chapel interrupts the ritual to take Spock into another room and inject him with the Kerkohvian cure. He successfully performs the mind meld. 
            T'Pring's mother says she is impressed with how well Spock performed despite the handicap of his human side. Spock is offended by this insult to his mother and reveals that he completed the ritual to T'Pril's satisfaction while he was human. 
            Later T'Pring tells Spock she is hurt that he didn't trust her enough to share his secret. She tells him they need to spend some time apart. 
            Spock goes to Chapel and they start making love. 
            Chapel is played by Jess Bush, who at 19 was a contestant on Australia's Next Top Model, which launched her successful modeling career. She acted in Australian film and television productions but Strange New Worlds is her first acting work outside of Australia. She is also an accomplished visual artist and photographer. Her current art project is called The Bee Totem series. She won a Saturn Award for her performance as Nurse Chapel in the first season of Star Trek Strange New Worlds.







No comments:

Post a Comment