Tuesday 29 August 2023

Ann Doran


            On Monday morning I worked out the chords for the second verse of "Au bon vieux temps" (In the Good Old Days) by Boris Vian. 
            For the second day I came up short trying to memorize the fourth verse of "Le Couteau dans le play" (The Knife in the Play) by Serge Gainsbourg. It's rare that it would take me this long to nail down a Gainsbourg verse. 
            I audio and video recorded song practice while playing my Martin acoustic guitar for the fourth day of four. For the next two days I'll play the Kramer electric, then two more days with the Martin, followed by four days with the Kramer. There are eighteen days left in this rebooted recording project. I think the second take of Megaphor came through okay and I did Sixteen Tons of Dogma in one take. The one song I fumbled the most on was the instrumental of Post Colonial Breakdown. In general this was a pretty good session, plus the sky was clear and so I had sufficient light for the camera, which timed out during Annie C's Aniseed Suckers. 
            I weighed 85.8 kilos before breakfast, which is the heaviest I've been in the morning in thirty nine days. 
            I got an email from George Elliot Clarke asking me what address to send the recommendation letter for the Masters Degree in Creative Writing. I realized then that I hadn't told him it was for the University of Toronto. I assume he's sent lots of these kinds of letters and would know. But I looked on the website and it seemed to say that the letters need to be sent with the application and so then I thought that meant George would have to send the letter to me. But I emailed Marguerite Perry at the English department. She seemed annoyed by my question and reminded me that the answers are on the website. She was friendlier on a phone a few weeks ago perhaps because she was less busy. Anyway it turns out that a link will be provided for the professors to upload their letters of recommendation when I fill out the application. Marguerite says the applications don't open until October 1 but I guess I'd better order my Official Academic Transcripts soon. 
            I weighed 85.9 kilos before lunch. That's the most I've weighed at midday in twenty nine days.
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I chiseled some more black quartz crystals from the remaining pieces of the rock that I found six years ago. 
            I weighed 85.2 kilos at 17:30. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:45. 
            I reviewed this morning's song practice video. The only major screw ups of songs that I usually do okay was on Post Colonial Breakdown but I think the final take was fine. I made it through Like a Boomerang but it needs work. 
            In the Movie Maker project to create a video for my song "Sleep in the Snow" I synchronized the concert video with the studio audio up until my line, "But it takes a pretty big charge to refrigerate a bed of snow". That line is ahead of the studio audio so I need to find a short video clip to put in front of that line and push it back. 
            I scanned a set of colour negatives probably from the mid eighties. Some of them are damaged but in a way that produce's some interesting abstract images. 
            I made a new batch of gravy from pork rib and pork loin drippings. I had some with a potato and my last piece of pork loin while watching season 5, episodes 8 and 9 of Petticoat Junction.
            In the first story Steve's in-laws are coming to meet Betty Joe, to sample her cooking that Steve's been bragging about and to see their dream home. The thing is that Steve hasn't been honest about Betty's cooking or the cottage. Kate plans to help Betty Joe prepare the meal but she comes down with a virus and Doc Stuart insists that she spend some time in bed. Mrs. Elliot senses that Betty needs help and secretly helps her. She says that for the first few months of her marriage she couldn't do anything but work a can opener. The next day they all go to see the cottage and Betty and Steve are surprised to see it renovated. Sam Drucker and several other neighbours have pitched in to do the work as a wedding present. 
            In the second story Betty has found the perfect wedding dress at a local shop. But meanwhile Kate has planned on having Betty wear the dress that she married Betty's father in. Joe has ordered a dress for Betty by mail and it looks like something from the 1920s, with a big sunflower on the chest. Betty hates it but doesn't have the heart to tell Joe. Then Cousin Mae arrives with a mini wedding gown and matching plastic boots for Betty. Betty also doesn't have the heart to tell Mae it's not what she wants. But finally she does tell Joe and Mae and they understand. At the wedding Betty ends up wearing her mother's gown. They show the whole boring ceremony. 
            Mrs. Elliot was played by Ann Doran, who appeared in hundreds of silent films from the age of four and then hundreds more sound films and TV shows. She started as a stand-in, then a bit player, then an incidental supporting player. She co-starred in Rio Grande in 1938. She played James Dean's mother in Rebel Without a Cause. She played Charlotte on the short lived sitcom Shirley. She played Eddie Haskell's mother on Leave it to Beaver and Mrs. Kingston on Longstreet. She was an early member of the Screen Actor's Guild.





No comments:

Post a Comment