Tuesday 15 August 2023

Carol Kane


            On Monday I woke up after 2:00 and did my dental hygiene routine, then I washed the dishes and went to bed. But I didn't sleep. I got up at around 4:00 and started downloading the complete Green Acres, plus the TV reunion. It's a big file and I noticed I only had 100 gigs of room on my computer. I went back to bed but still couldn't sleep so got up and deleted a lot of my song practice videos from 2022 and all the ones from June and July of this year since the Ableton audio ruined my hopes of synchronizing them with the audio because every recording was infected with heavy reverb. Those files are big and so I ended up gaining back an extra 300 gigs. 
            Later I finished working out the chords for the first verse and part of the second of "Être ou ne pas naître" (To Be or Not to Be) by Serge Gainsbourg. 
            I audio and video recorded my song practice and played my Kramer electric guitar. I think I'm getting some good takes out of my redo of this year's recording project but there are still mistakes in between. I didn't notice that I was tired while singing and playing but I was exhausted afterwards. 
            I weighed 85.1 kilos before breakfast. 
            My kitchen sink has started backing up again but mostly only does so when a large amount of water like from a pot or a big bowl is dumped in all at once. If there is a steady stream of water from the tap it could run for hours without plugging. But at one point it was worse and both sinks were filling up and so I tried to plunge it but it began leaking from the P-pipe. I called the landlord's handyman Yogi and I also emailed my landlord, who I'm sure will say the leaking is my fault. 
            Cole Webber emailed me to say he'd be by at 12:30 to drop off the work orders for the tenants in our building to fill out, which we would later give to the landlord with a letter. I looked out for him until lunch at 13:00 but he still hadn't come. I weighed 85.2 kilos before lunch. After lunch I laid down for a siesta and I think I slept for about ten minutes before I heard Cole shouting up at my window. He gave me about ten work order forms. I went back to bed but then I couldn't sleep again so I got up at 15:00. I knocked on Shawn's door to give him a work order but he wasn't in. 
            I took an early bike ride and stopped at Long and McQuade to buy another guitar hanger. I rode downtown and back. 
            I weighed 84.6 kilos at 16:45. 
            I finished chiseling the slate to free the fossils. I got the green spiral piece as close to free as possible without breaking it. I assume it's a seashell. I swept up most of the pieces of rock from the roof. I still have a few pieces of rock with small amethyst clusters on them so I might get those out of the way before I stop chiseling. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:30. 
            I reviewed this morning's song practice video. When I use distortion to play "Megaphor" with my Kramer it sounds really good. I think today's final take of the song may be the best of the electric takes from the sessions I began this month. I had to redo a few songs and so the camera timed out during one of my fumblings with "Like a Boomerang". That's the only other song I've been using distortion to play. 
            In the Movie Maker project for creating a video of my song "Sleep in the Snow" I was able to synchronize the concert video with the studio audio of my lines, "I had to take a pee / Oh but now I can't get back to bed / I...". After that it goes out of synch again when I sing, "guess I'm just too lazy". I searched for something that might fit with that and I think I might use part of Marlene Dietrich's performance of "The Laziest Gal in Town" by Cole Porter from Alfred Hitchcock's "Stage Fright". 
            I scanned the rest of the set of colour negatives from May of 1987, which included a trip I took to Ajax with my ex-girlfriend Brenda to visit my brother and to give my nephew Stephen my cat Nadaraj before leaving for Europe. Among the negatives was a strip of slides from 1985 or 1986 with mostly shots of my cat Siva but one of me probably taken by my ex-girlfriend Gloria. 
            I grilled a rack of ribs and had four with a potato and gravy while watching season 2, episode 1 of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.
            At the end of the last season Una was arrested for having joined Starfleet while being a member of a forbidden genetically enhanced race. At the beginning of this story Pike travels to fight for her freedom. The Enterprise is in dock at Star base One and Pike leaves Spock in charge. Uhuru picks up a distress signal from La'an who is in Klingon space and so Spock decides to steal the Enterprise to rescue her. While Spock and his crew are trying to prepare to get away, Commander Pelia arrives on the bridge in her capacity as an inspector. But she detects immediately that Spock is trying to steal the ship. She tells Spock to release ionized plasma which causes Starbase One security to instruct the Enterprise to move away from the base. They go to Cajitar IV where Mbenga and Chapel find some wounded natives. They provide medical aid but are captured by renegade Klingons who are collecting Starfleet technology. They are taken aboard a Federation ship that is in the control of the Klingons who plan on using it to restart the war. Mbenga and Chapel inject a drug that temporarily gives them heightened strength. They fight their way to a temporarily safe part of the ship where they send a signal to the Enterprise telling them to destroy the ship. Spock is unsure whether Mbenga and Chapel are on the ship and so he waits until there is no alternative but to destroy it. Meanwhile Mbenga and Chapel find a helmet and a jet pack and they jump into space without suits. The helmet has a beacon and they have two minutes before they freeze to death. After destroying the beacon the Enterprise picks up the signal and Spock has them beamed aboard. Spock performs CPR on Chapel to bring her back. The Klingon commander needs proof that Spock has just saved them from a war. Spock ends up drinking blood wine with him. 
            We learn that Pelia is a Lanthanite and her people lived on Earth for centuries undetected. Spock's mother was one of the first humans that Pelia came out to. 
            Pelia is played by the great Carol Kane, who made her professional theatre debut at the age of 14. Her first movie was "Carnal Knowledge" and her first starring film role was in the Canadian film "Wedding in White". Three years later she was nominated for an Academy Award for her role in "Hester Street". She won two Emmys for her performances as Simka in the sitcom "Taxi". Her part as the violent Ghost of Christmas Present is the most memorable part of the movie Scrooged. Bette Davis said Kane was the one actress she would like to have portray her in a film.












No comments:

Post a Comment