Thursday 10 August 2023

Al Schwartz


           On Wednesday morning I wasn't quite able to memorize the second verse of "Être ou ne pas naître" (To Be or Not to Be) by Serge Gainsbourg. I'll probably get it on Thursday and that will be more than half the song. The first verse is repeated three times and the second verse twice. There is only one additional verse.
            During song practice I played my Martin acoustic guitar as I will for the next three days. There was more light than yesterday but not a lot. I won't know if it was sufficient to focus the camera until I review the video later on. I tried to add reverb just to my vocal on Megaphor later but Audacity applied it to the entire session and so I removed it. 
            I weighed 84.2 kilos before breakfast, which is the lightest I've been in the morning in 112 days.
            A week or so ago I emailed Albert Moritz asking if he would be willing to write a letter of recommendation for me to get into the MA in Creative Writing program. Yesterday he got back to me and didn't mention the letter but advised me to apply at several schools because it's very hard to get into the U of T Creative Writing program, as they only accept seven or eight students a year. I responded that after going to U of T part time for fifteen years I'm somewhat attached and don't want to go anywhere else. I asked him again about the letter and today he told me he'd be honoured to write a letter for me. That made my day. 
            I wrote a similar letter to George Elliot Clarke asking the same thing and he got back to me in the afternoon saying he'd be glad to write me a recommendation later this month. He asked for the writing sample and a curriculum vitae, so I'll have to work on that. So I have two poet laureates to recommend me, which I would think might work in my favour during the selection process. 
            I weighed 85.2 kilos before lunch. I would normally have had crackers and five-year-old cheddar but I forgot that it was Wednesday and had instead kettle chips with salsa and skyr and a glass of raspberry lemonade. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. I stopped at Freshco to buy Nabob coffee and orange juice. 
            I spent about fifteen minutes chiseling slate to free up fossils. One petrified green root about the size and shape of a cigarette butt popped out of a rock intact. 
            I weighed 84.7 kilos at 17:30. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:48. 
            I reviewed this morning's song practice video and I think that some of the takes are contenders. Songs that I get in one take are usually of a higher quality of performance than songs I get right after five takes because I'm in a better mood. The light wasn't bad and it's supposed to be clear for the next two mornings. 
            In the Movie Maker project for creating a video of my song "Sleep in the Snow" I synchronized the concert video with the studio audio for the second part of the first line, "and I will try to be happy". It goes out of synch for the next line, "Didn't want to get up but I did, I had to take a pee" so I looked for some video clips online that might match that line. Maybe something from a silent boxing movie that shows someone struggling to get up after being knocked down. 
            I made pizza on naan with Basilica sauce, some cut up beef rib meat, and five-year-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching season 4, episodes 22 and 23 of Petticoat Junction. 
            In the first story Betty Joe has been taking flying lessons from Steve and he says she's ready to fly solo as soon as he gives the engine a compete overhaul. As Betty is mechanically inclined she helps him but Billie Joe is jealous that her sister is spending so much time with her boyfriend. Billie tries to help too but makes a fool of herself because she is not mechanically inclined. Kate tries to explain to Betty why Billie is jealous by telling her she is growing up. Betty decides to act grown up by dressing like a lady but everybody keeps asking her what she is made up for. While dressed up she goes to ask Steve how the plane is coming along. Billie realizes that Betty has a crush on Steve and tells him. He decides to shut it down and he does so by telling Betty that the plane is fixed but that she's too young to fly it. She takes it up by herself and lands perfectly. 
            In the second story Steve gets a telegram from his old friend and fellow pilot Max who tells him to come to Cascade for a business opportunity. Steve decides not to take the offer because he's happy where he is but Joe has dreams of expanding the crop dusting business with one more pilot and so he telegrams Max to come to Hooterville. Max takes him up on his offer and then everyone but Steve is surprised that Max is a woman. That night Steve and Max are discussing the fact that in order for her to handle pesticides out of state they have to fly to the state capital and get her a license. But all Billie Joe hears is the part about them flying to get a license and she thinks they mean a marriage license. When Max's boyfriend Jack in Cascade hears they are going for a license he thinks the same thing and heads there in anger. Steve wires the Bradleys that they are returning and for them to prepare for a wedding. Everyone thinks that Steve is marrying Max and Billie is obviously upset. But Steve arrives with Max and Jack and introduces them as the bride and groom. 
            This episode was co-written by Al Schwartz who in the 1930s was a joke writer for Bob Hope's radio show. His brother Sherwood Schwartz joined the show in 1938 as a writer. Sherwood became the head writer on the Red Skelton TV show for which Al wrote ninety episodes and co-won an Emmy in 1961. Al was a co-creator of Dotto, which was hosted by Jack Narz and the most popular game show on television in 1958. But it was discovered that on this show as well as other shows, the people in charge fixed the games by giving certain contestants the answers. When a contestant complained to the FCC the show was canceled suddenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment