Wednesday 2 August 2023

Lynette Winter


            On Tuesday morning I memorized the sixth verse of "Au bon vieux temps" by Boris Vian, and that's half the song. 
            I finished memorizing "Pour ce que tu n’étais pas" (For Someone You Were Not) by Serge Gainsbourg and searched for the chords. No one has posted them and so I worked them out for the first two lines. 
            I played my Kramer electric guitar during song practice for the first of four days. 
            I weighed 85.4 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday I went over to the hardware store to buy some more Murphy's wood soap. I also bought another no-kill mouse trap because the one I bought a month or so ago is useless. They seem to be too smart to get trapped alive whereas the kill traps are apparently very effective. My upstairs neighbour Shawn has killed lots of them with his traps. The new trap I bought is bigger but it still uses a tilting mechanism to shut the door after they've crawled in. We'll see.
            I spent about half an hour scrubbing and scraping the glue from the final four floorboards under the stove. I got most of it and it will take another session to clear the rest. Next I need to get some sandpaper and level out some of the boards that I put down in front of the kitchen counter so I can tile the area. 
            I weighed 85.2 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and on the way back I stopped at Freshco to buy two packs of five year old cheddar and two jugs of limeade. But they were out of limeade so I got two jugs of raspberry lemonade. 
            I weighed 84.6 kilos at 17:30. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:24. 
            I compared my performance of "Megaphor" on June 26 with the one on July 6 and I find July 6 looks better and I have a little more presence. I compared July 6 to July 7 and I think I look friendlier on July 6. I compared July 6 to July 12 and July 12 has an off chord. I compared July 6 to July 13 and July 13 is out of focus and has traffic noise, so July 6 wins. It's interesting that the best acoustic take of the song is just the day before that. I have yet to listen to the Ableton recordings for those two days and hopefully they are all right. I'll listen to July 5 tomorrow and if it's fine I'll start a Movie Maker project for that take. 
            The other day when I tried to play one of the DVDs containing the video of the May 8, 1998 Christian and the Lions performance of "Sleep in the Snow" it kept freezing. Today with the intention of copying the file to my computer I picked a different DVD, and expected there to be problems like those I've had recently copying the audio versions of the song from a CD. But it copied to my Videos folder with no problem and so while I was on a roll I copied the rest of the concert and then from another DVD I copied the video of a later solo concert I did at the same place. I imported the VOB file with "Sleep in the Snow" into Movie Maker but when I loaded it onto a timeline it went straight to the audio window. I closed Movie Maker and opened Total Video Converter and was dreading more problems but it converted the VOB to AVI and it only took about a minute. I changed the name of the file to Riot Gallery May 8, 1998 and then imported it into Movie Maker. I then imported the audio file that I made in Audacity combining the master track of "Sleep in the Snow" with the full kit drum track. I saved the Movie Maker project as "Sleep in the Snow" and deleted the first part of the concert until just before we played "Sleep in the Snow" but there's still some banter with the audience to remove. Anyway, I'm finally set up to begin my second music video. 
            I finished scanning the set of negatives of our trip to New Brunswick during the Christmas holidays of 1991 when my baby daughter met my father. I started a set from the fall of 1987 that has a lot of shots of my ex-girlfriend Brenda. 
            I had a potato with gravy and two chicken drumsticks while watching season 4, episodes 6 and 7 of Petticoat Junction. The file that I downloaded of the fourth season is a poor quality video and there is a weird background electronic whine that one notices if there is a lull in the real sound of the episode.
            In the first story the Cannonball derails because there were four missing railroad ties in a row that Floyd had pulled up to burn as fuel for the engine. Joe calls the C &FW Railroad office to file the insurance claim. Kate is worried that the claim will attract Homer Bedloe like a vulture and it does. He says the railroad can't get the insurance because of the negligence of burning the ties. But Kate holds a community meeting and several citizens put up the money to pay the $300 for the Cannonball's repairs. But much to Bedloe's delight the investors now begin to argue about how the Cannonball should be run. Each shareholder has a different demand such as one farmer not wanting Charlie to blow the whistle at the crossing because it spooks his cows. Also the women don't want the men to smoke in the coach car. There is so much fighting that Bedloe convinces Charlie and Floyd to quit with the promise of jobs on the main line. But Kate points out that the four ties that were burned had been eaten by worms and so the company is liable and better pay for the damages if it doesn't want lawsuits from every citizen of the valley who has been inconvenienced by the shutting down of the Cannonball. Bedloe pays them the $300, everyone gets their money back and they are no longer shareholders. Then Bedloe gets dunked in the water tower. 
            In the second story Salma Plout offers to invest in Joe's airline venture with Steve Elliot because she has eyes on her daughter Henrietta marrying Steve. There is a new Henrietta this season. Joe is all for Steve hooking up with Henrietta because it's good business. Salma invites Steve for oysters Rockefeller made by Henrietta. Billie Joe appeals to Joe to care more about his niece than business and he gives in. He disappoints Salma by showing up for dinner instead of Steve. Salma's next move is to come to stay at the Shady Rest under the pretense of her house being painted. That night Steve has a date with Billie to take her on a moonlight flight in his plane but Salma shows up with Henrietta after locking Billie Joe in a closet or the basement or somewhere. Kate has been neutral up to this point because Salma is a paying customer but now she gets involved. She gets Charlie and Floyd to cooperate and that night at dinner Charlie and Floyd show up with Steve who is also dressed in a railroad uniform and introduced as their new brakeman. He says he's given up flying. That blows Salma's plans to smithereens and she gives up on the idea of her daughter marrying Steve. 
            The new Henrietta Plout was played by Lynette Winter, who began her career with a guest appearance on Highway Patrol at the age of 12. She made guest appearances on several sitcoms before co-starring as Sally Field's best friend Larue Wilson on the sitcom "Gidget". She gave up professional acting in 1970 to teach high school English and Drama, but continued to act and direct in regional theatre.






No comments:

Post a Comment