Saturday 12 August 2023

August 12, 1993: The beautiful Maria Del Mar of the band National Velvet hummed along while I sang my song


Thirty years ago today

            On Thursday evening I posed at Harold Uplis Studio for the first time in years but a lot of the same guys were there. I cashed my cheque and walked down to Mudds Cabaret. Sonja was there but didn't approach me to offer an explanation for standing me up and so I was pissed off. I was still mad at Elizabeth for losing the group poem and so I didn't speak to her either. I did my reading and then later on from the back came a tall, beautiful, slightly overweight woman who Martin introduced as Maria Del Mar, the singer for the band National Velvet. She sang, talked and generally enveloped the place with her personality. I sang one of my songs and she tried to hum along but she was so drunk that her timing was off. Bob Snider was also there and singing one of his songs but when Maria tried to sing along he angrily stopped, shoved his guitar towards her and said, "Here, you sing the fuckin song!" She told me she liked what I did but she was praising everybody. I really liked her and she made my night.

No comments:

Post a Comment