Monday 14 August 2023

Sarah Selby


            On Sunday morning I memorized the tenth verse of "Au bon vieux temps" (In the Good Old Days) by Boris Vian. There are two verses left to learn. 
            I worked out the chords for most of the first verse of "Être ou ne pas naître" (To Be or Not to Be) by Serge Gainsbourg. There's still the final line to finish and I suspect that the rest of the verses and the instrumentals follow the same chord pattern. 
            I audio and video recorded my song practice and returned to playing my Kramer electric guitar after four days with the Martin acoustic. I had to tune it after Gian raised the action. As usual there's an adjustment in getting my hands to remember that I'm finding chords on a different guitar. I did a lot of retakes of "Sixteen Tons of Dogma" and so fewer of the later songs made it onto the video before the camera timed out. I saved the session as an Audacity project and then I added reverb and increased the volume on my vocal on "Megaphor". I extracted the altered file. 
            I weighed 85.5 kilos before breakfast, which is the heaviest I've been in the morning in thirteen days. 
            I cleaned the bathroom and swept the living room and kitchen floors in preparation for the tenants meeting. Shawn came a little before 13:00 and David came about five minutes later. David then went out to buy water for everybody. Cole came without a trainee this time. He explained that he couldn't get anybody to give up their Sunday. We chatted a bit and then the meeting got underway. Cole said that calling the city is not a very effective way of getting results from a landlord. He said what is needed is a letter attached with signed forms filled out by each tenant listing their grievances. He said then all the tenants involved need to deliver the letter to the landlord, perhaps when he comes to the building, at one of his other businesses, or maybe at his home in Burlington. Cole said he could also be there when the letter is delivered. 
            I weighed 85.2 kilos before lunch at 13:50. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            When I got back I went out to buy a six-pack of Creemore. 
            I spent about twenty minutes chiseling fossils from slate. The last rock is down to five pieces that together I could almost hide in my fist. 
            I weighed 84.7 kilos at 17:45. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:40. 
            I reviewed this morning's song practice video. I hit a few wrong chords on "Megaphor". I think Gian must have flipped a few switches on my Kramer away from my normal settings when he raised the action because it was sounding a bit trebly. It took a while for me to switch things back to where they originally were. The camera timed out shortly after I finished "La jambe de bois". 
            In my project for making a video for my song "Sleep in the Snow" I needed a clip to fit the line beginning "I didn't want to get up but I did". I settled on a clip of an early attempt at flight with a wooden plane whipping around and climbing then throwing the pilot even higher before he drops to the ground. It was part of a collection of clips of early flight attempts in various contraptions. I downloaded it, converted it to AVI, imported it to Movie Maker, made it into a movie in that format, and then imported that to my "Sleep in the Snow" project. I cut out everything but that clip and then inserted the clip just before my line. I shaved off the beginning so it just shows the plane climbing, and the pilot thrown up and then falling. I started cutting out the aforementioned line from the concert video. Next I'll see if I can synchronize the video with the studio audio for end of the line, "I had to take a pee". 
            I finished scanning a set of undated black and white negatives that are mostly street shots of buildings and houses, probably from 1987. I started on a set of colour negs from May of 1987 but only scanned the first frame, which is also of a building. 
            I made pizza on naan with Basilica sauce and five-year-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching season 4, episodes 30 and 31 of Petticoat Junction. 
            In the first story Kate's southern belle cousin Mae comes to visit and Floyd and Charlie are immediately smitten with her, which causes them to quarrel. Kate tries to solve the problem by arranging for Sam and Mae to pretend they are courting but then Sam becomes enamored with Mae too. Next Kate has Sam stand beside Mae and then a judge comes out to marry them. That causes Sam to walk away. The same thing happens with Charlie but it backfires with Floyd because he wants to marry Mae. Mae decides to leave and the judge goes with her. 
            In the second story Wilma and Henry Tuttle move to Hooterville Valley because it seems like such a happy community. The community is excited because it pushed the population of the valley above 250 thereby making it eligible to have representative at the County Board of Supervisors. Kate suggests that Elmira Peabody would be a good candidate but Sam says she wouldn't because she's a woman. This causes Sam to be made a candidate by the men with Joe as his campaign manager and Kate representing the women with Salma Plout as her manager. The valley is now divided with the tensions mounting until Wilma and Henry decide to leave because the valley is no longer happy. Kate and Sam are relieved because now they don't have to put their friendship in jeopardy anymore. 
            Wilma was played by Sarah Selby, who started in radio. Her first screen job was voicing one of the elephants in Disney's Dumbo. She played Ma Smalley the boarding house owner on Gunsmoke. She had recurring roles on the George Burns and Gracie Allen Show. She played Aunt Gertrude on The Mickey Mouse Club. 
            After dinner I fell asleep on the couch for a while. Then I tried to write about the shows I'd watched but I kept dozing off and so I went to bed about two hours early without brushing my teeth or undressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment