Friday 3 November 2023

Dan White


            On Thursday morning I worked out the chords for the fourth verse of "C'était une pauv' gosse des rues" (She Was a Poor Child of the Street) by Boris Vian. 
            I memorized the first verse of “Your Under Arrest” by Serge Gainsbourg. The chorus is not anything that needs to be memorized. It’s just a silly rap that goes , “You’re under arrest cause you’re the best. Slippity slam baboomboombabam…” etcetera. 
            I played my Kramer electric guitar during song practice for the second session of two. 
            I weighed 85.8 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday I painted a first coat of primer on the edges, the tops and bottoms of my kitchen counter doors, as well as the area just below the counter and at the bottom. I still need to remove the drawers so I can paint what’s left of the front. I’ll do that tomorrow and might have time to start the second coat. 


            I weighed 85.6 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and on the way back I stopped at Freshco. I bought three bags of green grapes, two bags of black grapes, bananas, two packs of raspberries, two packs of five-year-old cheddar, a jug of limeade, salsa, two containers of Full City Dark coffee, and a bag of Miss Vickie’s chips. 
            I weighed 85.3 kilos at 17:45.
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:54. 
            In the Movie Maker project for my August 6 song practice I finished synchronizing the audio and the video. Then I saved the project as “Time of the Yo-Yo (Acoustic). Tomorrow I’ll isolate the song and will maybe have time to publish it. 
            I scanned what I thought was a set of black and white negatives but they still looked like negatives in the scanner. That would suggest that they were slides but the images were very faint. I’m wondering if I accidentally bought black and white slide film and developed it myself thinking it was regular black and white film. I’ll try scanning the strip as slides tomorrow and see what happens. 
            I roasted a sirloin beef tip and had an end piece with a big potato and gravy while watching season 2, episodes 24 and 25 of Green Acres. 
            In the first story Lisa decides to plant a vegetable garden. Meanwhile Oliver’s tractor breaks down when he needs it for ploughing. He can’t borrow or rent a tractor from any of his neighbours and so he buys a horse from Haney. He hooks it up to a plough but it won’t go until he says “Tally Ho” and then it takes off without the plough, dragging Oliver through a barbed wire fence. While he’s tangled he sees Lisa drive by in a tractor. She says she paid $4000 for it but Oliver tells her to take it back. She does so but they only give her $3000 back because of depreciation. Anyway Lisa got all her garden ploughing done in the time she had it. But she didn’t plant any vegetables because Oliver told her she doesn’t need to buy any extra equipment. It's very odd that Oliver doesn’t simply buy a new tractor. He seems to be rich. 
            In the second story Eb starts not only seeing flying saucers but talking to their inhabitants. Lisa tells Sam Drucker and he puts it on his headline. Suddenly their farm is flooded with people wanting to talk to Eb. Oliver meets a little being in a space suit but it turns out to be a little boy also there to talk with Eb. Someone from the air force comes to interview Eb but when Eb thinks he’s answering specific details all anyone hears is “bleep bleep bleep” because the aliens have wiped his mind of that information. 
            One of the people who came to meet Eb was played by Dan White, who at the age of 14 hooked up with a travelling show and ran away from home. For years he travelled with tent, minstrel, vaudeville and theatre shows. In 1935 he decided to pack up his family and drive from Florida to Hollywood. It was during the depression and he had to stop frequently to make money as an auto mechanic. He struggled for three years until he finally got work at Republic Pictures. His first movie was a small part in Prairie Moon. On the radio he created the role of Red Ryder. He gained a reputation for playing villains in B westerns.



No comments:

Post a Comment