Saturday 25 November 2023

Jimmy Bond


            On Friday morning I finished memorizing “Baille baille Samantha” (Yawn Yawn Samantha) by Serge Gainsbourg. I searched for the chords but no one has posted them and so I worked the first two out for the instrumental. 
            I played my Kramer electric guitar during song practice for the last of four sessions. 
            I weighed 85.3 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday I washed, scrubbed and scraped the sheet of Masonite that I’d glued down onto the kitchen floor in front of the counter to prepare it for priming. I’ll probably put down the first coat of primer on Sunday. 
            At 13:00 I went for lunch with my neighbour David. We stayed local this time and went to A Taste of India at Queen and Lansdowne. He had curried chicken with rice and I had the shrimp vindaloo in a roti with a bottle of Steam Whistle. I had another Steam Whistle and ordered more roti to sop up the sauce. It wasn’t bad. David says he wants to open an upscale coffee shop on his father’s land back in Ethiopia. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. I think I’ll start wearing extra socks and long underwear soon. 
            I weighed 85.4 kilos at 17:30. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:12. 
            I reviewed the videos of my song practice performances of “Sixteen Tons of Dogma” from September 5 to 6. On September 5 I played my Kramer electric guitar and the take at 16:15 had a lot of wrong chords. On September 6 I played my Martin acoustic guitar and the take at 13:30 wasn’t bad but there was a lot of traffic noise. 
            In the Movie Maker project to create a video for the studio audio recording of my song “Megaphor” I finished adding the effect of spanning the colour spectrum to the last third of the sections of the video of the twirling Nadaraj 3D object. I then copied it and inserted it into the main video to correspond to my line, “Siva comes twirling cross the ballroom sky”. I only had to delete the last four sections. I then synchronized the concert video with the studio audio for my line, “to tap a nova on the shoulder time for death to cut in” but then it goes out of synch for, “He always gets the last waltz no matter who brings you in”. I started looking for video clips to correspond with that but found nothing on YouTube. I suspect though that the 1934 movie Death takes a Holiday might have what I’m looking for and so I downloaded it from Pirate Bay. It downloaded pretty quickly and so tomorrow I’ll look through it. I think I’ve seen the movie but don’t remember the imagery. 
            I cut and filed the strip of negatives that I’d scanned last night. I cleaned, scanned, cut and filed another set, mostly of outdoor shots and shots I took from a moving vehicle. The next two canisters I grabbed held strips of slides of a presentation of the 1972 novel Dinky Hocker Shoots Smack by M.E. Kerr. Later on it was made into a movie. It’s about an eating disorder and has nothing to do with shooting smack. Apparently Dinky just says she’s going to shoot smack to get her mother’s attention. The slides are just simple illustrations of the action and probably were accompanied by an audio recording. There was nothing worth keeping from it so I threw the slides away. I opened two more canisters containing more strips of slides. These were part of an educational series of slides on The Soviet Union with Part 1 being on “The Land” and Part 7 on the Cold War. These slides had photos but none were interesting enough to keep. There are twenty more strips in canisters and I suspect they are mostly also educational slides. I think I found the whole bunch in the garbage perhaps at a school. So there are a lot fewer negatives from shots I took myself than I thought there were. It won’t take long to go through those and start of the eight boxes of my own slides. Then I need to buy an external hard drive to back them up.
            I had a potato with gravy, two chicken wings and a spine while watching season 4, episodes 8 and 9 of Green Acres.
            In the first story it is old mail day at Sam Drucker’s post office. It’s the day that after cleaning up once a year Sam gives out all the mail that he finds got misplaced. Fred Ziffel receives a draft notice from 1917. Oliver gets a stock notice telling him he lost $300 because he didn’t respond to their previous letter, which Sam also gives him a year later. Oliver is now angry that the mail is not being delivered and so he writes to Washington. The result is that Sam’s post office status has changed and now he is required to spend all day delivering the mail by bicycle. Because of that he has to keep his store closed since he has no time to run it. Everybody is hungry and they want to tar and feather Oliver. He writes another letter but in doing so mentions that there are 28 families that depend on Sam’s post office. But the rules state that any community with less than 32 families does not warrant a post office, so now everybody has to get their mail in Pixley. 
            In the second story Hank Kimball learns that a county agent trainee named Terry Harper is coming to work with him. He thinks that Terry is going to take his job away until he finds out that Terry is a beautiful woman and then he doesn’t care. Everyone is smitten with Terry and Sam, Fred, Hank, Haney, and Eb all think they are taking her to the dance. She suggests they all go together but none of them wants to share and so she goes to the dance with Arnold the pig. 
            The bass player for the soundtrack of Green Acres was Jimmy Bond, who was well known in the world of jazz, rock, blues, and folk. He attended the Juilliard School and studied orchestration and composition. He played with Charlie Parker, Thelonius Monk, Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Zappa, Randy Newman, Linda Ronstadt, Henry Mancini, Nina Simone, Tony Bennet, and B.B. King. He was a member of The Wrecking Crew group of studio musicians.

No comments:

Post a Comment