Thursday 16 November 2023

John Hubbard


            On Wednesday I ran through singing and playing "C'était une pauv' gosse des rues" (She Was a Poor Child of the Street) by Boris Vian in French. Tomorrow I’ll start revising my translation and that might take at least a couple of days. 
            I memorized the fourth and fifth verses of “Five easy pisseuses” (Five Easy Pieces) by Serge Gainsbourg and almost nailed down the final verse. I should have the whole song in my head on Thursday. 
            I played my Martin acoustic guitar during song practice for the third session of four. 
            I weighed 85.3 kilos before breakfast, which is the lightest I’ve been in the morning in eight days. 
            Around midday I painted a second coat of “Berry Patch” onto the edges, tops, bottoms, and in between spaces of the doors and drawers of my kitchen counter. I think the front is pretty much done although a few places need some touching up. There’s still enough paint to maybe cover the mostly unseen end of the counter that the right side of the stove snuggles up to. 
            I weighed 85.5 kilos before lunch. I had Triscuits with five-year-old cheddar and a can of ginger ale. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. When I got home I went out to buy a six-pack of Creemore.
            I weighed 84.7 kilos at 17:15. That’s the least I’ve weighed in the evening in three weeks. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 17:45. 
            I reviewed the song practice videos of me playing my song “Sixteen Tons of Dogma” from August 10 to 13. From August 10 to 12 I played it on my Martin acoustic guitar. On August 10 the take at 10:45 was pretty good but the ending had at least one slightly wrong chord. On August 11 the last take was pretty good. I was expressive and the light was good. The ending was not perfect though. On August 12 it wasn’t bad but not as good as August 11. On August 13 I played the electric and it wasn’t very good. There were off chords and the guitar seemed slightly out of tune. 
            I started a new Movie Maker project to create a video for the studio recording of my song “Megaphor”. The other project crashed two days ago when I was halfway through the last verse and almost done with the whole video. Now it won’t play but I can still open it and view what files I inserted into the timeline, exactly where they were placed and exactly how much time they occupied. Because of that I can use the old project as a template to recreate in the new project a lot of the elements that were complete in the old one. For example the first note on the audio timeline of the old project is at 0.47 seconds, so I trimmed the beginning of the audio timeline for the new project so it starts at the same place. On the video timeline I inserted the first five images exactly where they’d been in the old project. I lost two months of work when the old project crashed but in terms of progress comparing the two projects start times I’m ahead on the new one because I already have all the files and I won’t have to search the internet for video clips, download and convert them because I have them now. I’ll continue working on it tomorrow. 
            I cut into fives the strip of negatives that I scanned a few days ago, put them in a labelled envelope and filed them. I took another strip from the little wooden cabinet and unsleeved it. I didn’t have time to clean or scan it but I could tell from holding it up to the light that it has lots of shots of my ex-girlfriend Brenda, including some of them nude. I’ll probably scan them on Thursday. 
            I made pizza on naan with Basilica sauce, salami and five-year-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching season 3, episodes 20 and 21 of Green Acres. 
            In the first story Fred and Arnold Ziffel are in the bank to open Arnold’s first account when two gunmen come in and rob it. Barney and Clyde make off with the bank’s contents of $67 plus Arnold’s $5. They ditch their car and walk through a corn field to discover what looks like an abandoned shack but it turns out to be the Douglas home where they meet Lisa. She thinks they are the apple pickers Oliver asked for and invites them in. Then Arnold arrives on his paper route and recognizes the robbers. They look at the headline about the robbery and it says Arnold had $10 stolen. Clyde thinks Barney has been holding out on him and they argue, which tips off Lisa that they are the robbers. When Oliver comes home she tries to get rid of him but the crooks capture him as well. Meanwhile Arnold tries to tell Fred about the robbers but he’s not listening. Lisa grabs Clyde’s gun but Barney has a gun to Oliver’s head and threatens to shoot him if she doesn’t give it back. Then Eb comes and he’s also held captive. Meanwhile Arnold goes to the sheriff’s office but he doesn’t understand his squealing and tells him to leave. Arnold goes to the Douglas house and enters through the back. The crooks are holding everybody in the kitchen while they force Lisa to cook for them. They are the only people who have ever liked her hotcakes. Arnold goes into the living room and takes the robbers’ bag of money, then takes it to the sheriff’s office. When the cops see the money and see Arnold leaving they follow him to the Douglas house where they arrest Barney and Clyde. 
            In the second story there is a town hall meeting with Mr. Tepple of the state agricultural society as a special speaker. He tells them there is a plan by the state agricultural society to charter a plane to take local farmers to France to study that country’s farming methods. He says the plane trip shouldn’t cost more than $350. All those at the meeting vote in favour of going to France and begin making plans. Doris and Sadie come to Lisa to get coached on what to take to France. She tells them that they’ll need four dresses a day and so a total of 112 dresses. They should also take three coats: a sable, a chinchilla and an ermine. Since they only each have one cloth coat Lisa says she’ll lend them a couple of basic minks. Mr. Temple takes down the names of all who want to go and since the confirmations will fill up the plane he says that will bring down the cost to $300. Each farmer starts handing Temple $30 because they think that all they need to pay for the ten of them is a tenth of $300. Oliver explains that it normally costs about $900 to go to Europe. He tells them that the $300 is deductible from their income tax anyway because it’s a business trip. They say the most they can raise is $78 each. Oliver says sarcastically, “Fine! We’ll have a $78 trip to Europe”. But they take him seriously and think that the trip is on again. Temple comes to Oliver and tells him he’s caused the whole trip to be canceled with his offer of a $78 trip. The $300 would have paid for the plane and room and board with the French farmers. The locals get a plane that’s been on display on top of the High Flyer Diner, take it down and tow it to the airport. They think Oliver is going to be their pilot and that it will take at least a month to fly in the plane to Europe. Then Carter from the federal aviation agency says he’s grounding the plane. But this makes international news because French farmers are complaining that the US is being cheap with their farmers. The president of the US calls the State department and then the next thing you know all ten people are given plane tickets to France. Then Oliver notices that all of the tickets are one way.
            Carter was played by John Hubbard, who started out in musicals and Hal Roach comedies. In between acting jobs he worked as a used car salesman and a restaurant manager. During WWII he played lead roles in some minor films. He co-starred in The Mummy’s Tomb, The Housekeeper’s Daughter, and Turnabout. Later on television he played Brown on The Mickey Rooney Show, Bill Bronson on My Little Margie, Colonel Barker on Don’t Call Me Charlie, and Ted Gaynor on Family Affair. On the radio he played Willy on the Phil Harris-Alice Faye Show.



No comments:

Post a Comment