Tuesday 21 November 2023

Patience Cleveland


            On Monday morning I revised my translation of the sixth verse of "C'était une pauv' gosse des rues" (She Was a Poor Child of the Road) by Boris Vian. 
            I published “Samantha’s Sexy Socks”, which is my translation of “Five easy pisseuses” by Serge Gainsbourg. I sang along with his song “Baille baille Samantha” a couple of times. Tomorrow I’ll start memorizing it. 
            I played my Martin acoustic guitar during song practice for the final session of two. Tomorrow I’ll begin a four session stretch of playing my Kramer electric. 
            I weighed 85.7 kilos before breakfast. 
            Since I’d gotten home late last night from the Ekstasis launch I had extra writing to do about the event and didn’t have time to even do that before I got sleepy. I went to bed at around 23:00 and got up at 1:00, then I finished my review but by then it was 2:30. I went to bed but couldn’t get to sleep until about an hour before my alarm went off. 
            I had planned on going to Rottblott’s today at around midday but I still hadn’t written my Green Acres review and so I did that instead. 
            I weighed 85.8 kilos before lunch. 
            After lunch I took a much needed siesta. 
            In the afternoon I took bike ride downtown and stopped at Freshco on the way back to buy grapes and milk. 
            I weighed 85.7 kilos at 17:30, which is the heaviest I’ve been in the evening in nine days. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:30. 
            I reviewed the song practice videos of my performances of “Sixteen Tons of Dogma” from August 25 to 27. On all of those dates I played my Martin acoustic guitar. On August 25 the song went into part B and I still screwed it up. On August 26 the take at 8:15 was okay and on August 27 the take at 9:15 wasn’t bad. 
            In the new Movie Maker project to create a video for the studio recording of my song “Megaphor” I continued to copy files from the timeline of the old project that crashed. I got most of the parts from the second verse when I saw that the old crashed version was suddenly functional again. That’s just weird because it crashed five days ago and I’ve checked every day but yesterday and it was still broken. I don’t know if it will go dead again but I took advantage of the change and continued where I’d left off. I was about to check if I’d successfully synchronized the concert video with the studio audio for the line “that make stumbling look like dancing just like you and I” when it crashed. Now that it is working again I can see that it was a success but the next line, “until Siva comes twirling cross the ballroom sky” is out of synch. I started searching for a video clip that fits with that line. There are no live clips that depict the Nataraj aspect of Siva dancing but there are some animated clips that come close. I found one computer animated clip that might work but I’ll keep looking tomorrow. 
            I had a potato with gravy and a chicken leg while watching the third season finale and the first season premier of Green Acres. 
            The first story is a continuation from the penultimate episode of season 3. Arnold the pig is going to Hollywood for a screen test. Lisa’s old friend from Hungary, Boris is a Hollywood producer and has told her over the phone to send Arnold out to talk with him but she still hasn’t told him that Arnold is a pig. Oliver and Lisa take Arnold to Hollywood but the hotel clerk refuses to rent a room to a pig. Lisa signals for Arnold to start protesting and so he begins to squeal loudly until the clerk gives in to keep his customers from checking out. They take Arnold to see Boris and of course he is shocked. But he has a horse actor that has been demanding a $5000 raise and so Boris decides to use Arnold as a bargaining tool. He agrees to give Arnold a screen test because he thinks that when the horse hears that he is expendable he’ll drop his demand for a raise. But the horse continues to ask for the raise and Boris is told that Arnold’s screen test was actually quite good and so he agrees to cast Arnold in the picture instead of the horse. But just before Arnold is supposed to shoot his first scene he runs into the horse and they have a conversation. The horse tells Arnold that his dreams of sending his son to Stanford are now shattered. Arnold sympathizes and decides not to show up for the shoot. The horse gets the part and Arnold, Lisa, and Oliver head back to Hooterville. 
            Boris’s secretary was played by Patience Cleveland, who majored in theatre at Smith College. She co-starred on Broadway in Look Homeward Angel and The Apple Cart. In 1963 she wrote a children’s book called The Lion is Busy that got good reviews. She made appearances on several TV series and did many TV commercials. She played Grandma Death in Donnie Darko


            In the second story Eb, Lisa, a reluctant Oliver, and Arnold enter the Peterson Poi Juice contest. I don’t think there is any such thing as poi juice since it’s a paste made from taro root but it can be diluted to make a milk substitute. It turns out that Arnold wins the contest with the prize being a two week trip to Hawaii. The advertizing agency that created the contest sends Mr. Robertson to meet Arnold. He knocks on the Douglas house because he is lost and so Oliver and Lisa take him to the Ziffel house. When he finds out Arnold is a pig he declares him ineligible. But Fred Ziffel says he’ll hire Oliver to sue. Robertson thinks he’s got them when he says that the rules say that every contest entrant has to sign their own name and asks to see Arnold make a signature. Fred gives Arnold a pen and he signs his name. The company gives in and allows Arnold to claim his prize but after Arnold learns the itinerary he cancels his trip. He finds out that he will be the guest at a luau where the main course is roast pig.

No comments:

Post a Comment