Saturday 18 November 2023

Victoria Carroll


            On Friday morning I revised my translation of the second and third verses of "C'était une pauv' gosse des rues" (She Was a Poor Child of the Road) by Boris Vian. 
            I worked out the chords for the first verse of “Five easy pisseuses” (Five Easy Pieces) by Serge Gainsbourg. 
            I played my Kramer electric guitar during song practice for the first day of two. 
            I weighed 85.3 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday I finished touching up the front of the kitchen counter with “Berry Patch” and had enough left over to paint both ends of the counter. There was still a bit left in the can and so I slopped it onto the edges of my kitchen shelves until it ran out. The next project is either putting down tiles in a checkerboard pattern on the floor in front of the counter if I can get them cheap, or painting the area in a checkerboard pattern. 


            I weighed 85 kilos before lunch, which is the lightest I’ve been at midday in sixteen days. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I weighed 85 kilos at 17:15. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 17:55. 
            I reviewed the song practice videos of my performances of “Sixteen Tons of Dogma” from August 18 to 20. I played my Kramer electric guitar on all those sessions. On August 18 the ending on the take starting at 14:30 wasn’t bad but a fly landed on my nose. On August 19 the take at 15:30 wasn’t bad but the ending wasn’t perfect. This session is already synchronized in Movie Maker. On August 20 the take at 19:45 was pretty good until the end. 
            In the new Movie Maker project to create a video for the studio recording of my song “Megaphor” I copied the concert video clips in sequence from the timeline of the previous “Megaphor” project up to the point where I began inserting the clips from the Fritz Lang movie Spies. When I played the new project however it was slightly out of synch. I checked the duration of some of the photos I’d inserted and some of them were not the same length as the original so I made sure they were all exactly the same. But it was still slightly out of synch even though everything is exactly like the beginning of the previous project. I’ll have to see if I can fix that tomorrow. 
            I cut up a whole chicken into legs, breasts, wings and spine. I put the parts on the rack, oiled, salted, and spiced them and put them in the oven but didn’t turn it on. I’d planned on starting it at 19:00 but I got caught up in the Movie Maker project and forgot until just after 20:00. That meant it wouldn’t be done until 21:40, which is an hour after I eat dinner. I turned the chicken in the oven and had a potato with gravy while watching season 3, episode 24 of Green Acres. 
            In this story Winny Hinkle the barber only comes to Hooterville once every six weeks. Oliver wants to lobby for a full time barber but on Petticoat Junction there already is a full time barber in Hooterville. Eb wants to take a correspondence course to become a barber. Oliver thinks it’s ridiculous to study to be a barber by mail but he gives Eb the $25 for registration. They even have their college football games by mail. But then Eb needs $25 for his tools and another $25 for his uniform. He gets a dummy with a toupee and a beard and he has to cut the toupee and shave the beard, then send those in to be graded. Eventually he receives a diploma but it is blank and he needs to send another $25 for a printed one. 
            I started watching season 3, episode 25 and halfway through I had a chicken leg. In this story Lisa says that it has been almost two years since they moved from New York to Hooterville. She reminds him that he promised to take her back to New York for a two week holiday after she’s been on the farm for two years. Oliver reluctantly agrees to honour his promise. They check into an expensive hotel and the clerk calls him Mr. Cummings and says Lisa must be the new Mrs. Cummings. Oliver corrects him and says he’s never been there before. They go to an expensive restaurant and the coat check girl also thinks he is Mr. Cummings and kisses and calls him “Baby”. She says she recognizes Lisa’s mink coat and ring and wonders how he got them back from the redhead. When they sit down the waiter also thinks he’s Mr. Cummings and says, “Champagne for Mr. Cummings!” Oliver just wants a martini. Every time Oliver stands up somebody steals his chair or his drink. The next day Oliver gets a call from Judson Felton the head of his old law firm and arranges to meet for lunch. Judson has a proposal for Oliver to come back as a full partner. Then Oliver sees his old friend Wanda who invites him to a party at her place. Oliver gets pulled into the crowded party and Lisa gets shut out. They get back to the hotel in the morning and Oliver had a great time but Lisa didn’t. They’ve been invited to spend the weekend on a boat off Long Island. Oliver is having such a good time that he’s willing to accept Judson’s offer. But Lisa wants to go home to Hooterville and since that’s the first time she’s ever called Hooterville home he wants to go back too. This story doesn’t make much sense. Oliver and Lisa were married and living together for ten years in New York and living the New York lifestyle. They obviously went out to the best places and so if he could be mistaken for Cummings now he would have been before. If he’d had a wild side in New York it would have come out when she knew him before.
            The coat check girl was played by Victoria Carroll, who as a child performed as “The World’s Youngest Mind Reader” in an act with her parents. She won a scholarship to study painting but also took dance lessons and became a dancer on Broadway. She danced and had a small acting role in the movie My Fair Lady. She had supporting roles in several movies and guest appearances on quite a few TV series. She appeared six times on Hogan’s Heroes as six different characters. She became one of the first actors to join the Groundlings improv group and school. She played Mel’s girlfriend Marie on the sitcom Alice. She is also a successful painter.






No comments:

Post a Comment