Thursday 2 November 2023

Harry Antrim


            On Wednesday morning I worked out the chords for the third verse of "C'était une pauv' gosse des rues" (She Was a Poor Child of the Street) by Boris Vian. I assume that the fourth and fifth verses will have the same chords as the first and second, then the sixth will have the same melody as the third, but we’ll see. 
            On my Christian’s Translations blog I published “The Garden of my Love”, my translation of “L'amour de moi” by Serge Gainsbourg and “My Love’s Private Garden” my translation of the 15th Century song “L'amour de moy” on which the Gainsbourg song is based. That’s the end of the 1986 Gainsbourg file. There are forty-four of his songs and one short novel left in my Gainsbourg translation project. I sang along with the title song from his 1987 album “Your Under Arrest” a couple of times. Tomorrow I’ll start memorizing it. 
            I played my Kramer electric guitar during song practice for the first of two sessions. I’ve been keeping the volume low so as to not disturb anyone but it was getting hard to hear what I was doing so I turned it up a bit. It’s still not as loud as my acoustic guitar. 
            I weighed 85.1 kilos before breakfast, which is the lightest I’ve been in the morning in 35 days.
            Around midday I called The PC Shop to ask if they had usb cassette-to-mp3 converters. They don’t and I don’t think I would have an easy time finding one other than online. I decided to see if I could purchase one by debit on Amazon. I’ve never tried that before. It seems like the transaction went through but I didn’t see any money leave my account. Supposedly it will be delivered on Friday, November 3. I saw later in my online bank account that the purchase is pending. They did the same thing when I paid for my MA application at U of T. It looks like I’ll be getting the converter. I have a shitload of cassettes I accumulated before I went digital of concerts that I did that got recorded by sound technicians at the places where I played. 
            I started painting the doors and drawers of my kitchen counter. I put down most of the first coat of primer, except for the bottom, the edges of the doors and drawers and the areas that I’ll need to remove the drawers to get at. I might have some primer left over to paint the kitchen shelves. The plan after priming is to paint it a dark but warm purple. 



            I weighed 84.9 kilos before lunch. It’s been almost a month since I weighed that little at midday.
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I decided not to chisel any quartz on the deck because the renovators are back. They’ve finished unit 5 and someone I think has moved in. Today he was renovating Benji’s place and doing a lot of sawing on the deck. Benji says he’s fixing it so the rats don’t come up from downstairs. 
            I weighed 85.1 kilos at 17:30. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:30. 
            I was planning on spending more than half an hour synchronizing the audio and the video in my Movie Maker project for my August 6 song practice. But Movie Maker was misbehaving and the video was choppy. So I decided to restart my computer but my computer decided to install Windows updates. Once I was back in Movie Maker I only had time to work fifteen minutes on that project. But I got the audio up to just a few seconds behind and they should be lined up tomorrow. 
            In the Movie Maker project to create a video for the studio recording of my song Megaphor I continued to edit the clip of the movie Ziegfeld Girl so part of it goes in reverse. 
            I cleaned and scanned a set of colour negatives that were partly shots of an outdoor art show and partly of an indoor art exhibit. It seemed to be a continuation of another roll that featured the same exhibit. 
            I made pizza on naan with Basilica sauce and five-year-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching season 2, episodes 22 and 23 of Green Acres. 
            In the first story Oliver gets an offer to work as a lawyer in Washington where he would be arguing cases before the Supreme Court. He’s always wanted to do that and so he’s torn between his love of farming and his desire to advance as a lawyer. His neighbours have grown to like him and don’t want to see him go so they try to make up legal cases so he’ll be interested in staying. Doris and Fred Ziffel ask him to help them get a divorce. Oliver says he can’t defend them both in a dispute and besides he can’t help his friends get divorced. Then Newt Kylie says he wants to sue Fred because his fence is on his property. Oliver asks if he’s sure. Newt says he helped him move it there. Oliver tells him to help him move it back. Then he realizes that his neighbours are trying make him stay and he is touched. He decides to not take the job in Washington. But then his neighbours begin to wonder why Oliver seems to have so much money even though his farm only made $16 last year. They begin to speculate that he’s involved in something illegal. Then when Oliver gets a call to phone operator 235 in Washington they think that he’s a secret agent. Oliver lets them believe that and tells them that in the interest of national security they have to forget about it. 
            In the second story the Hooterville Young Peoples Agricultural Society (HYPAS) are putting on a play to raise money to build a clubhouse so they don’t have to meet under Sam’s front porch. The play is going to be a script from the Beverly Hillbillies. The thing is that the people from Hooterville, including Oliver and Lisa have met the real Clampetts of The Beverly Hillbillies during a Christmas episode but that isn’t mentioned. Eb sprains his ankle but it’s better in time to rehearse. Lisa helps him by playing Elly May while he plays Jethro. Then Doris, who was supposed to play Granny gets a cold. So Lisa takes on the role of Granny. But then Eb sprains his ankle again so Oliver plays Jethro. Hank Kimball plays Jed. But during dress rehearsal Oliver slips on a skateboard and sprains his ankle. 
            The doctor who treats Eb’s ankle was Doc Wilson. It was the first time there wasn’t some incarnation of Doc Stuart. Wilson was played by Harry Antrim, who was born in 1884 and started out working in vaudeville. His first movie was a small part in Small Town Girl in 1936. He played Mr. Walker the druggist on The Andy Griffith Show.

No comments:

Post a Comment