Sunday 5 January 2020

Food Bank Adventures: Was Jesus a Fun Guy?


            On Saturday morning I finished posting “Bébé gai” by Serge Gainsbourg on Christian's Translations and started copying the lyrics for his song "My chérie Jane" from a YouTube video.
            I worked on my poem series “My Blood in a Bug”, sectioning off parts of the text into verse form. I’m almost finished with that. Nest I’ll start turning the verses into poetry.
            At 9:30 I started getting ready to go and stand in the food bank line-up. I got there a little after 9:45. Veronica was much further ahead of me than usual. She explained that Wheeltrans had come early.
            She said that she saw Graham last week on her way out of the food bank as he was waiting to come in. She commented that even though he has a job he is one of the working poor. She said he probably doesn’t make very much because he works for a non-profit organization. That seemed strange to me since I’d heard that sending medical caregivers out to help individuals is one of the most profitable industries.
            I saw Beth step in line and I went to let her know I was in front of her. Beth came up to chat with us. Veronica asked her if her name was Beth and she said, “Yes like in the Kiss song.” She said Peter Criss had written it about his wife but none of his three wives were named Beth. The original song was called “Beck” because when Chris was in the band Chelsea a band mate named Mike Brand had a wife named Becky who used to call him during rehearsals to ask when he was coming home. I hadn’t heard the song then and commented that it being Kiss it was probably very simple. I said their most melodic song was probably, “I Was Made For Loving You” and I sang the first two lines while Veronica bobbed her head from side to side.
            Veronica asked, “What’s melody?” That was a tough one. I said it was a certain balance between simplicity and complexity in music with repetition that makes a song catchy. I sang the melody from the chorus of Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony as an example. The musical changes have to be contained enough for the pattern to be recognized by the attention as a piece of music that stands by itself in the memory. 
            Graham stepped into line behind Beth’s place and came up to chat with us. Veronica asked if his company is a non-profit. I was confused by the idea since they do charge money for their services and so extra money must come in. It seems the way it works is that to be a non-profit there is no owner that benefits from extra money coming in. Any profits go back into the company but that could be for raising the salaries of employees. There are chief executives of nonprofits that make six figure salaries. So it seems like a bit of a head game to call them “nonprofits”.
            Graham said he’s coming to the food bank every week in order to save money for first and last month on a place. He has found a place that he wants up at Wilson Heights but it’s being renovated and he’s still trying to negotiate with the landlady to let him take the place. He said he might take out a loan in order to pay for first and last. I told him that there’s probably a much higher quality of food bank up there that he could go to. Beth said all the food banks are supplied by Daily Bread and so they get the same stuff. That’s not entirely true since people within the community can donate food to an individual food bank. I told her the main difference is that at any other food bank in Toronto the clients would not be standing outside in the cold.
            Beth asked what I know about Alice Cooper. I told her I sing one of his songs every day. She asked which song and I said, “I Love the Dead”. Veronica seemed surprised and said, “I thought he was a Christian!” I confirmed that he is but that Christianity is really a death cult anyway. It’s a religion that worships the dead.
            I said the best concert I ever saw was the original Alice Cooper group at Maple Leaf Gardens. Beth wanted to know what year "I Love the Dead" came out. I told her it was 1970. Beth surprised me by saying she was born in 1969. I’d thought for sure that she was older than me. Graham told her she’s ten years younger than him. I said I was born in 1955, the year the first rock and roll song became a number one hit. Graham guessed that it had been a Bill Haley song and I confirmed that it was Rock Around the Clock. She shared the trivia that it had bumped “How Much is that Doggie in the Window” by Doris Day from the top spot. Veronica mentioned "Que Sera Sera" and I said that song became especially popular because it was prominently featured in Alfred Hitchcock's "The Man Who Knew Too Much". Doris Day's character sang it very loud as a beacon to find her kidnapped son. I said some of Hitchcock's silent films like "The Lodger" were his best. Veronica said she doesn't like silent movies. I said the expression of the actors and the way the cinematographers worked with light and shadow were in many ways above the way movies are made now. There's a great scene in the Lodger that conveys suspense simply by showing someone’s hand descending the railing of a spiral staircase.
            Veronica asked Graham to make a computer program for her in Excel because she needs to coordinate information for her Overcomers group. Graham told her there are apps for things like that. I said that maybe she doesn’t need a program but rather just someone to point her in the right direction.
Veronica said I should do a benefit concert for her. I said I don’t think many people would pay to hear me play.
Beth repeated some theory about Jesus about how he was married. I said he might have been gay but Beth dismissed that. I said there are hundreds of ideas about Jesus was and told them that I’d once read a book that gave a convincing argument that Jesus Christ was a mushroom. Graham talked about the First Council of Nicaea in the year 325 and how much information about Jesus must have been rejected in an effort to arrive at consensus as to what the doctrine of a Christian faith should be. I said, “Think of the telephone game and how one can pass the wrong information on in a matter of minutes and imagine that game extended over 2000 years.
It was time for everyone to get in line. Me, Beth and Graham left Veronica and we continued our conversation further back. Beth said they found a statue of Joseph. I said I didn’t think a statue from Joseph’s era wouldn’t be dust by now but she said they found it in a pyramid. I asked how could they possibly know that it was a statue of Joseph. It's not like they had any point of reference for identification. And why would there be a statue of Joseph inside of a pyramid? This may have come from some people from the 2nd Century identifying Joseph as the Egyptian god Serapis. This blending came about because Serapis was a god of the grain harvest and Joseph is said to have saved his people from famine by stockpiling grain in large granaries. For centuries people thought that the pyramids had been built to serve as granaries until scholars were actually able to travel to Egypt and see that had not been the case. If a statue was found in a pyramid it was probably one of Serapis and then seen by association as a statue of Joseph.
I said that there is no historical evidence that Joseph, David or Solomon, a united Israel or any of these Biblical figures ever existed. They may have been simply characters in stories like Hercules. Beth insisted that they found that David and Solomon were real people. But there are only a couple of possible references outside of the Bible to a leader named David. There is even less evidence of Solomon’s existence.
A streetcar went by and Beth declared how much she likes the new ones. Graham said he hates them because when he gets on a streetcar he wants to sit down and the seating was designed for people that are much smaller than average. He complained that he frequently has to stick his legs out in the aisle if someone else is sitting in front and facing him. That seems to me to be the only drawback. They load more quickly than the old streetcars and they’re great for someone like Beth, who walks with a cane, because there are no steep steps to climb.
My back started to hurt from standing around for so long and the damp cold began to sink into my body just as the line began to move.
Downstairs there were a couple of very young volunteers helping out at the shelves. My helper was a young woman with long brown hair.
From the top of the first set of shelves I took a bottle of balsamic dressing and a can of peaches. Below there were lots of crackers but I had plenty so I just grabbed a handful of chocolate chip and marshmallow granola bars.
From the canned beans section I got two tins of chickpeas. Further down was a jar of real peanut butter but if I took that I couldn’t have a can of tuna, so skipped it.
From the soup shelf I picked a large carton of beef broth and a can of chilli. Is chilli soup? Maybe it’s stew. I guess they don’t put it with the canned beans because it’s got other stuff in it.
From the beverage shelf I took a can of Mellow Mood Relaxation Drink from the Bob Marley Beverage Company. It was raspberry tea lemonade and when I later had it for lunch I felt the sugar tearing into my teeth so fiercely that I had to rinse my teeth with the Waterpik. I found a news article from 2012 about some school kids in New Jersey that bought the drink at their cafeteria and it induced drowsiness, splitting headaches and vomiting. One of the ingredients is valerian root, which can cause dizziness.
Angie offered a choice of Black Forest hams or medium sized frozen pizzas. I took a ham. She had eggs, milk and yogourt but I just wanted the three eggs.
From the bread section I selected a bag of whole-wheat English muffins.
Sylvia offered me potatoes but I still had a full bag from the week before. She gave me four apples, two oranges and two small onions.
From the bin by the door I looked at the yellow peppers but they seemed a bit soft and so I just took a bunch of broccoli.
All in all this was a pretty good haul. The ham was a score and the broccoli was fresh. I give this week at the food bank a B.
On Saturday after the food bank I went home to put my food away. On the way back out to go to the supermarket I ran into my next-door neighbour Benji. I thought he might know whether or not Coffeetime had gotten a one-month extension on their lease. Although he used to hang around there all the time when the previous owner had the place, he doesn’t know what’s going on there now.
At No Frills I got four bags of grapes, a pint of strawberries, two half pints of raspberries, three bulbs of garlic, a bottle of mouthwash and two containers of Greek yogourt.
For lunch I had a ham and cheese sandwich on a toasted English muffin.
I worked on writing my Food Bank Adventure.
For dinner I had two strips of bacon, an egg and a toasted English muffin with a beer while watching two episodes of South Park.
The first story begins with Sheila Broflovski getting the C-dif virus and she is given a fecal transplant. The result is that she feels ten years younger but all of her friends are asking for her poop so they can feel the same way. She refuses because she thinks one should consult a physician for such a procedure. But since her friends are not sick they can’t get fecal transplants. One of Sheila’s friends gets access to a video game that is not yet on the market and tries to bribe Kyle to get his mother’s poop. Kyle refuses but the other boys go in the basement and try to get Sheila’s shit but Kyle catches them. Kyle is disgusted at first that half of human cells are bacteria but then he begins to communicate with them. Suddenly half the population of South Park becomes sick because of illicit fecal transplants and they may die. We learn that the most coveted poop is that of football star Tom Brady and everyone is trying so hard to access his biome that they use every trick in the book. They refer to Brady’s poop as "The Spice". In the end, Kyle, guided by his own bacteria, enters Brady’s house, goes directly to a bookcase and behind it reveals a secret chamber where Brady has been collecting his shit. Brady's turds save the town.
The second story is about Scott Malkinson, who is the only diabetic child at South Park Elementary until a new girl named Sophie Gray arrives. Scott immediately falls in love but all the other boys like her too. He thinks she should be with him because of what they have in common. He learns that Sophie loves the Disney plus series “The Mandalorian” and invites her to his place to watch it. The problem is that his house doesn’t have streaming because Scott’s father Clark is a cable guy and refuses to have anything but cable. He is so angry about how streaming has taken over that he organizes the other cable guys to sabotage the cable that allows the streaming. But the running joke is that like any cable guys coming to any appointment they take until the last minute to show up for the sabotage. Scott sells his insulin on the black market for pirated access to Disney Plus and Sophie comes over but the streaming fails after the sabotage. They go to the other boys’ houses but it has failed there too. Scott resents all the attention the other boys are giving to “my girlfriend" but Sophie sets him straight. She's not his girlfriend but she does like him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment