Sunday 16 February 2020

Eva



            On Saturday morning I was still limping. But since the puncture wound is in the exact place where my foot makes contact to step, even if the wound shrinks I might limp just as much until it's gone.
I posted my translation of “J’entend des voix off” (I Hear Them Mouth Off) by Serge Gainsbourg on Facebook. Then I started memorizing his song “Eva", which is about the apparent love that Hitler’s girlfriend, Eva Braun had for the song “Smoke Gets In Your Eyes”. The speaker in the song seems to be Hitler as he muses that sometimes he would like to make love to Eva in his Eagle’s Nest while “Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" is playing but he has to break the record before he becomes invaded by that American melody.


            


            I worked on updating my journal.
            On my way to No Frills I mailed my income report statement to Ontario Works. There will be only three more months of me being accountable to Social Services since I’ll be collecting my pension at the end of June. I think I’ll still need to report my financial situation to Canada but not every month.
            I bought four bags of black grapes and three bags of red grapes. I got a half pint of raspberries. They had little double packs of souvlaki on a stick for $1 so I got three packs. I grabbed mouthwash and some dental floss. I’d been buying the little round Oral B dental floss dispensers the last couple of times but they’ve malfunctioned so I got the cheaper Life brand this time.
            I had whole grain crackers and three year old cheddar for lunch.
            In the afternoon I did my exercises while listening to Amos and Andy. In this story Andy has his inheritance but Kingfish and Sapphire are broke. She gets them summer jobs as service staff at an Adirondacks resort but before they leave Sapphire’s Aunt Minerva comes to visit. Minerva is a successful businesswoman who has been searching among the family for someone worthy of taking over one of her businesses. It turns out that Sapphire has been deceiving Minerva for years and telling her that Kingfish is a successful businessman. In order to not reveal their poverty to Minerva, Kingfish gets Andy to let them use his room at the Lennox Hotel and the room service. They tell Minerva that they are going away to stay at the Pine Crest Lodge for the summer but then Minerva secretly books a room there so she can visit. That summer when Sapphire spies Minerva at the lodge she and Kingfish have to avoid having Minerva find out that they are not guests there but rather employees. They call Andy and he comes to help them but then when Minerva sees Sapphire leaving Andy’s room Sapphire has to quickly explain that Andy is a doctor. Minerva wants an examination and so Kingfish and Andy decide this would be an opportunity to get rid of her. Andy tells Minerva that she is allergic to the Adirondacks and that she has to leave for her health. But suddenly the manager walks in tells Kingfish he and Sapphire are fired. Kingfish and Sapphire lament that they have blown their chances of getting rich through Minerva but the final scene has Minerva back in Chicago working at her car-washing job.
            I got caught up on my journal.
I was about to grill some frozen patties at I got from the food bank and which I’d been told were sausages. But when I opened the bag they smelled like vegeburgers and so I decided to save them for when I go on my annual vegetarian diet during Lent. Instead I cooked the smoked chicken sausages that I’d also gotten from the food bank. They were really more like chicken wieners with smoke flavour. I had one for dinner between two halves of a piece of toast with French fries and a beer while watching Zorro. 
In this story Captain Arrellano is still acting governor and seems to regret having tried to have the governor killed. But when the governor tells him that he plans to re-assume his duties as governor the captain once again gives in to temptation. Another leader of the independence movement offers to help the captain to eliminate the governor. The captain drugs some wine and puts Sgt Garcia and Corporal Reyes to sleep so that the assassins can enter. Bernardo sees this and alerts Diego. Zorro knocks out the rebel leader and then duels with the captain. The captain points his sword at the sleeping Garcia and says he will kill him if Zorro does not drop his sword and so he throws down his weapon. Meanwhile Bernardo is attacked by the two assassins. He kicks one into a wall, knocking him out and then picks up and spins the other, also slamming him into a wall. The captain advances on the unarmed Zorro until Bernardo reaches the balcony above them and drops a flowerpot on the captain’s head. In this story it is Bernardo and not Zorro that has taken out all the bad guys. Later we see the captain has still not been exposed as a traitor and we learn that the assassins that were his “prisoners” had escaped.
            I had a very bad wifi connection all day from the espresso place across the street and it was even worse after they closed. It took a long time to post my blog and then I had trouble pasting the link onto Facebook. I was finally able to do it just before midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment