Sunday 9 February 2020

February 9, 1990


Thirty years ago today

            I went for dinner at a Vietnamese place. I hadn’t known what to expect. It was like stepping into another world. It was dark and most of the lighting was ultraviolet while the walls were decorated with Patrick Nagel prints in that modern Art Deco derived style that was very popular in the 80s. Completing the atmosphere was Vietnamese pop music being played over a very good sound system.
            The place was not licensed and the clientele consisted of preppy Vietnamese teenyboppers who sat talking, smoking, playing video games and drinking exotic fruit milkshakes.
            I had beef soup with green tea, which wasn't bad but the beef sure tasted funny.
            Afterwards I walked east to the Squeeze Club where I drank a couple of beer and watched women. I had to send a beer back because it was warm. The whole time I was there only one black woman walked in.

No comments:

Post a Comment