Thursday 13 February 2020

Secret Identities



On Tuesday morning, although it was still painful to walk my limp was less extreme and I wasn’t flinching with every step.  When I started yoga I was able to do the sun salutation in normal time.
            During song practice I still couldn’t dance or even move around and had to play while standing still with my weight shifted onto my left foot. Because of my lack of mobility I stayed close to my dresser so I could reach my tuner and my glass of water without walking over to them in between songs. Having to stand on the left side of the room limits my view out of the window, which is less enjoyable.
            I did notice however that the two Ethiopian guys who since the Coffeetime closed had stopped meeting in the Dollarama parking lot to chat with the Ethiopian cab driver, this morning came in the cab with him. They got out to stand and talk by the taxi as usual for a few minutes and then he drove away. I assume they walked back to Tim Hortons after that.
            I finished memorizing “J’etend des voix off” (I Hear Them Mouth Off) by Serge Gainsbourg.
            I worked on typing and researching my lecture notes.
            I had roasted peanuts and yogourt for lunch.
            In the afternoon I did my exercises while listening to Amos and Andy. I assumed this was part two of the three part 1950 story about Andy inheriting $25,000. The uploader had made a mistake in the numbering and had also posted part three twice, labelling it once as part one. In this story Andy finds out that there is a dispute over his inheritance because it turns out that he has a cousin who is also named Andy Brown. The other Andy Brown claims he’s the one named in the will. Andy and Kingfish try to convince the other Andy that their uncle is still alive but he doesn’t buy it. Finally the other Andy accepts a payoff of $1000 to let Andy claim the inheritance. But when they get to the lawyer’s office to pick up the cheque they find out there is a third nephew named Andy Brown making a claim.
            I continued to type my lecture notes.
            That night I had a potato and my last piece of roast beef with gravy for dinner while watching Zorro.
            In this story Basilio plots to capture Zorro by using Sgt Garcia as bait. He reasons that since Zorro has rescued Garcia before he will do it again. He has Garcia tied up and suspended by a rope near the top of the gate of the fort. Bernardo helps set a trap for Basilio underneath where Garcia is hanging he buries a knotted rope that is in fact the other end of the rope with which Garcia is tied. Then Bernardo goes to Baslio’s office and with sign language tells him that he’s seen Zorro. Basilio follows him and when he sets his foot over the buried noose Zorro trips the trap so that the noose catches Basilio’s foot and he is lifted upside down even as Garcia is lowered. Reyes cuts the rope to let Basilio down but it causes him to fall very hard.
            After this Basilio begins to think that Bernardo might be Zorro but then thinks better that he might be Zorro’s helper. He goes with several soldiers to Diego’s house. When he is alone in a room he accidentally finds one of the secret passages. He hides inside when Zorro enters and then sneaks up and knocks him out. Then he unmasks Zorro and I knew at that moment that he was going to die because that’s what happens to everyone in this series who discovers Zorro’s secret identity. With Zorro unconscious Basilio stupidly removes his costume and puts it on. He has already told the men to shoot Zorro on sight and so it makes no sense that he would don the costume. But he does so, including the mask, and then goes to tell the men that he has captured Zorro. The captain shoots and kills Basilio. The captain will be sent back to Spain.


No comments:

Post a Comment