Wednesday 19 February 2020

Guy Williams



            On Tuesday morning upon getting up from yoga I seem to have put too much weight on my puncture wound and agitated it so that I was limping a little more than I have been lately.
I worked out most of the chords for the first verse of “Eva” by Serge Gainsbourg.
            I worked on catching up on my journal.
            In the late morning I had to do my laundry. I’d put it off for a few days and had even worn ragged underwear to avoid doing it in a crowded Laundromat during the weekend. The place was empty when I came in and the middle aged matronly Japanese attendant said, “Good morning.”
            I was singing my translation of Serge Gainsbourg’s “Eva” the whole time I rode there back and forth until I brought my clothing home.
            I had some pork ribs and a few French fries for lunch.
            In the afternoon I did my exercises while listening to Amos and Andy. This story continues from the previous one in which Kingfish, to avoid being drafted, enlisted in the field artillery, only to find that the draft notice had been a mistake. As Kingfish prepares for his four-year stint in the army his friends throw a party for him and give him a gold watch. His wife Sapphire is so proud of her husband that she is crying from happiness. Kingfish gets a call from the army telling him they can’t accept him because of his age and his physical condition. Kingfish doesn’t know how to break it to his friends that he is not leaving and so pretends to leave and then hides in the attic of the lodge hall. When he learns that Sapphire plans to visit him at Fort Bragg he buys a helmet, a ragged uniform and some medals from a pawnshop and pretends to be on furlough. As he is bragging to her about his exploits in the army she gets a call and learns that Kingfish’s unit had already shipped out a week before. She asks him to remove his helmet and then hits him with a vase.
            I started doing research into the similarities between Canada’s hereditary chief, Elizabeth, and the hereditary chiefs of Wet’suwet’en. There are quite a few. She’s the keeper of the faith and a holder of thousands of years of traditional knowledge. The British monarchs also tend to be conservationists.
            I heated some pork ribs, some French fries and the rest of my gravy and had them for dinner while watching Zorro.
            The secret plots by Captain Arrellano to assassinate the governor continue. A new assassin has been given the task. Meanwhile the governor continues to recuperate from his accident while staying at the De La Vega hacienda. The governor however is becoming increasingly bored and irritable and so Diego proposes that a fiesta be held in his honour. The captain suggests that it be a costume ball and Diego realizes that this would be a perfect opportunity for the captain to arrange for the governor to be killed. Don Alejandro complains to Diego that the only costume that he has is a Greek senator’s robe and the last time that he wore it people made fun of his knees. The next morning Alejandro finds on his bed a medieval executioner’s costume with a wooden scimitar and he assumes that Diego has given it to him. He wears it at the party and in the midst of it gets a message from the captain that Diego wants to meet him in the stables. But at the stable Alejandro is attacked by an assassin wearing the same costume but wielding a real scimitar. Zorro arrives just in time to save Alejandro but the assassin escapes. The plot had obviously been to have the man in Alejandro’s costume kill the governor and then for Alejandro to be blamed for the murder.
            Zorro is played by Guy Williams who really was an expert fencer and so his swordfights were not done by a stand-in. He loved playing Zorro and said he could have gone on doing it forever. Later when he played Dr. John Robinson on Lost In Space, even though he was the captain of the ship he didn’t have as prominent a roll because the flamboyantly evil character of Dr Smith got all the limelight. During his three years on Lost in Space Williams invested in the stock market and retired in Argentina with a comfortable sum of money. He chose Argentina because he was a superstar there where Zorro had been a tremendous hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment