Saturday 28 March 2020

On March 28, 1990 I Was Fired



Thirty years ago today

On the twelfth and final day of my water fast, just as I was heading out to work in the morning I realized that I'd forgotten to call my dad on his birthday. I made a mental note to phone him that night.
When I got to work I was just about to begin unloading a truck when Bob came out and looked me over. My coat was closed and so he couldn't see much but he noticed that I'd done some sewing at the bottom of my jeans and commented, “Borderline!” He paused a moment and then asked, “Don't you have any other pants you can wear?”
I opened my coat and said, “Look Bob, I have two kinds of pants. Work pants and pants that I wear to go out dancing.”
He said, “Come with me ... Bring your stuff!”
I said, “Talk to me here!”
He said, “Okay, wait right here!”
He came back in a couple of minutes with my time sheet. I argued with him for a while and then after saying goodbye to some of the guys, I left.


No comments:

Post a Comment