Friday 27 March 2020

Redneck Cops Vaping Crack


            On Monday morning I dreamed I was in a very rowdy bar that had an open stage. In a back room some tough looking guys were vaping from much larger than usual pipes. I said, “Isn’t smoking against the law in here?” and one of them said, “We’re not smoking! This is cocaine!” People were getting violently slammed in the head with big metal and other heavy objects. The nastiest guy there was a blonde off duty cop. I had said or done something that he didn’t like and so he warned that if I did it again he would kill me. Given that he was supposed to be a police officer I asked mockingly, “Wouldn’t that be against the law?” When the entertainment started it was understand that someone’s life was going to end violently before it was over. All of the performers and singers were amazingly good.
            There was still no wifi when I got up on Monday. I was beginning to worry that even when I finished my essay I wouldn’t be able to upload it from my place. If I wasn’t allowed to sit in public places then I wouldn’t be able to use my laptop either. U of T might have libraries open, but that would mean I wouldn’t have until midnight to upload the paper.
            Just before 7:00 I got wifi back. There’s nobody at the café and so I must lose wifi on weekends because someone closer to the signal is crowding me out. If that’s true I'm glad they have a job. I thought later that maybe it’s because so many people are working from home right now that I didn’t have wifi.
            By the mid afternoon I was reading through my essay, making corrections and checking the citations as I went along. The problem was that only one of my sources was an actual book, whereas the rest were websites. The wifi at this point was very sporadic and I had to keep clicking just make it into the signal for long enough to check one citation. I was basically waiting fifteen minutes for every one minute online. It started to eat my time up so much that I had to stop proofreading and just try to get all of the citations done in time for the deadline. It was starting to look like that wasn’t going to happen and I was beginning to feel anxiety and tension in my chest. I thought of going out to try to find someplace with wifi so I could finish and upload my paper in time, but then I was worried that because of the coronavirus no place would allow me to sit down. The internet connection started holding a little longer around 22:00 and by about 22:45 I’d finally uploaded it. I would have liked to proofread the second half but I was too nervous about losing wifi again and also I wanted this essay out of my hair.
            Still feeling tense but calming down slowly, I made a late dinner of tomatoes and avocadoes and watched the first half of “From Andy Pandy to Zebedee” a documentary on the history of British children’s television programs from the 1950s to the 1970s.


No comments:

Post a Comment