Friday 27 March 2020

Piece of Cake When You've Already Been Distanced by Society


            On Tuesday morning I had my first song practice in over a week. It was nice to stand and move rather sit like I’d been doing for the last eight days while I was writing my essay. I enjoyed singing and playing again as well except that it was a bit painful because the protective calluses on my barring finger seems to have healed. I also felt like I was just on edge of forgetting the chords to some of the songs, as I fumbled quite a bit. For the most part, even though it was a French song day I hadn’t my mind hadn’t lost any of the words although my mouth sometimes did. My whistling however was better than it’s ever been.
            Eight days ago I had almost memorized the very long “On n’est pas la pour se faire engueuler” by Boris Vian and would have nailed it the next day if I hadn’t started the marathon of writing my research paper, which took away time from my translation projects. I came back to it today and found that I’d only lost the last couple of lines and so I should have it in my head soon.
            I spent the whole morning getting caught up on some things that I follow on Twitter, like The Daily Show and with my poor connection that took a long time.
Thirty years ago I weighed 76 kilograms and today I’m at 89.2. It must be all the avocadoes that keep my weight up.
            In the early afternoon I went to do my laundry and was very worried that the laundromat would be closed because of the virus. I was glad to see it was open. The manager was very friendly and smiling, I think because her friend was there working on some traditional crafts with her. While I was there I saw my second floor neighbour, Shankar. It was the first time I’d ever seen anyone from my building there. While my stuff was in the wash I went down to No Frills to find a line-up outside and there were signs explaining that the supermarket was practicing social distancing. Only a certain number of people were allowed in the store at one time. We live in interesting times. I was ninth in line and after five minutes the security guard let our group in. I bought tomatoes, avocadoes and raspberries.
            At the checkout they’ve taken away the food dividers because they want customers to stay back two meters.
            I had a late lunch of tomatoes and avocadoes and then took a very late siesta.
            I worked on getting caught up on my journal. During the week I’d spent writing my paper I hadn’t posted my daily blog but I had quickly jotted things down so I wouldn’t forget what happened.
            I had the usual tomatoes and avocadoes for dinner and watched the last half of the documentary about British children’s television, "From Andy Pandy to Zebedee". I had downloaded it because I was looking for British children's shows from the 1950s, and Andy Pandy was on the list. Andy Pandy was a puppet show. I hadn’t heard of most of these shows but I had downloaded an episode of Blue Peter a few years ago that had featured Doctor Who.

No comments:

Post a Comment