Sunday 8 March 2020

So Few Modern Actors of Depth and Edge



            On Saturday morning I finished memorizing “Rock Around the Bunker” by Serge Gainsbourg and looked for the chords. None were posted and so I’ll have to work them out myself.
            I got caught up on my journal.
            I find that soymilk works much better as a coffee creamer than coconut milk. The globs of fat in coconut milk don't allow it to blend as well.
            Around midday I went to No Frills where I bought five bags of red grapes, mouthwash, hair conditioner and garbage bags.
            I was digitizing my journal from thirty years ago today and saw that I weighed 84.4 kilos at the time. I went to my scale to compare and found that I’m now 91.1 kilos.
            I spent more than two hours researching Indigenous Schools and I was glad to have both the energy and the wifi for it.
            I used some leftover pan drippings, my last five onions and a bag of frozen soybeans to make a very spicy and greasy soup. I had a bowl for dinner while watching the third episode of Star Trek Picard.
            Spoiler alert!
            We see a flashback to fourteen years before when Picard demanded that Starfleet give him an armada to save the Romulans from the supernova disaster or else he would resign. They accepted his resignation and as a result his first officer Raffi Musiker was fired. Raffi tumbled into poverty and addiction and so in the present when Picard comes to her for help getting a ship after fourteen years of not even checking in on her, she does not welcome him. But she has always suspected Romulan infiltration in Starfleet and when Picard tells her that there are Romulan assassins operating on Earth she is drawn in. She reluctantly puts him in touch with a pilot named Chris Rios, who has also fallen from grace with Starfleet. Meanwhile on the research site of the abandoned Borg Cube Soji is invited to visit the ward containing the Romulan former Borg drones who now suffer from psychological problems because of post assimilation trauma. She sits with a Romulan woman who is laying out what are perhaps the triangular Romulan equivalents of tarot cards in a pattern. Soji speaks on a topic she should not have known about. The woman tells Soji she knows her and calls her the Destroyer. The woman gets hold of a gun and tries to kill herself but Soji moves with inhuman speed and stops her. Soji calls her mother and asks about her sister Dahj, who she does not know has been murdered. Her mother lies and tells her that she just spoke with her and she’s getting a dog. Something about the transmission puts Soji to sleep. Meanwhile Picard and his housemates are attacked by Romulan assassins. They kill all of them except one who also refers to Soji as the Destroyer before he kills himself. Just then Dr Jurati arrives to ask Picard to take her with him in his search for Soji. They beam up to Rios’s ship and find Raffi there. She says she’s only coming with him as far as Free Cloud where Picard can find Bruce Maddox, who created Soji.
            Raffi is played by Michelle Hurd, who played a cop in the first two seasons of Law and Order SVU and a corrupt DA on Daredevil.
            Dr Jurati is played by Canadian actor Alison Pill, who started acting at the age of twelve and was later in Scott Pilgrim versus the World and Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen.
            None of the actors playing edgy characters on this show seem very interesting in real life. What happened to all the edgy actors?

No comments:

Post a Comment