Sunday 26 April 2020

Homeless with Dogs



            On Saturday morning I memorized lines eight to twelve of “L'homme à la tête de chou" (The Man with the Head of Cabbage) by Serge Gainsbourg.
            At 9:45 I went to stand in line at the food bank. It was quite a bit longer than it had been the week before so I was two places past where the big hearts end and around the corner on Beaty Avenue. The middle aged blonde woman ahead of me is a food bank regular. She nodded and smiled as I took my place two metres behind her.
            A few minutes later a young woman accompanied by a black labradoodle came to stand behind me, but the woman ahead of me began to severely chastize her for spitting on the sidewalk. She told her that people put their bags and backpacks down to mark their places in line and they don’t want her saliva on their things.
            At the same time the woman with the dog was smoking and so I put my backpack down on my spot and took my book across Beaty to stand and read in the sun. But then for reasons that were a mystery to me the woman with the dog followed me to the west side of the street and stood behind me, with the wind continuing to blow her smoke towards me. I moved back to my spot and she followed me again but by this time she had finished her cigarette and so I stayed.
            My best guess to explain her strange behaviour is that she was confused about the line and simply had followed me because she’d thought she was supposed to.
            My second guess is that she thought that I’d been offended by the woman ahead of me that had criticized her and that I’d moved across the street in protest, causing her to join me in solidarity.
            I read a couple of pages from my dual language book of French stories and I was almost finished with The Death of Judas by Paul Claudel. The story is being told by Judas after he has committed suicide. Claudel adds an interesting element by having Judas hang himself from the same fig tree that Jesus had illogically cursed because it did not bear fruit out of season.
            Actually, the Bible has two conflicting stories about the death of Judas. The most popular one is the suicide as depicted in Matthew, but in Acts Judas uses the blood money that he got for turning Jesus in to buy a piece of land. It is on this property that Judas has an accidental fall resulting in his death. Some people that are desperate for the Bible to be literally true in every instance have used a clumsy creativity to combine the two stories so they will both be true.
            I looked behind me and saw that the line was now stretching for about five houses down Beaty. The woman two places behind me struck up a conversation with the woman with the dog. She learned her name is Charlotte and that she and her dog are homeless. She said she knows how hard it is to find a place when one has a dog because she was on the street with a dog at one point. She said that her dog had to be put down.
            There is nothing wrong with homeless people having dogs as long as they can take care of them and feed them properly. Homeless people are really the ideal dog caregivers because dogs are homeless by nature. Wild dogs tend to run in packs and only females giving birth and nursing will stay in a single place until their pups are ready to travel. Eighty-three percent of the dogs in the world are feral. One in four homeless people have pets.
            This was my second week going to the food bank in the age of social distancing. Before that there tended to be a ninety minute wait before we could go downstairs in groups of five and choose our items. Last week I learned that in the new system we no longer get to go downstairs but rather boxes of food are brought upstairs and distributed. When I first heard this I thought it was a rip off to take away our choices but I was so pleasantly surprised that I only had to wait half an hour for my food that I didn’t care anymore about not being able to choose. This time however the wait was as long as it had been before and so it made me feel that we should have the power of selection again.
            After a little over an hour the people in the front started getting their boxes and left. The line moved forward a bit until I was standing on one of the hearts painted two metres apart. Marlena came around with a big bag of 170 gram bags of Fresh Gourmet whole grain chips. I took the jalapeno flavoured kind and put it in my bag. Charlotte opened hers immediately and shared some with her dog. According to the Animal Rescue site it’s okay to share non spicy versions of those kinds of snacks with a dog as long as they are not salted. Dogs cannot eat salt because it causes excessive thirst, urination and can lead to sodium ion poisoning. These chips are all corn based and corn is a common allergen for dogs. They are also fried in oil., which is also bad for dogs and so for Charlotte to allow her dog this snack was not good care giving.
            After ninety minutes I finally got a box of food with a big paper bag on top. Most of the food items that I received this time were not what I would have chosen from the shelves downstairs. The paper bag contained five large potatoes, two bruised apples, a very soft grapefruit and a plastic bag of about fifteen carrots. In the box was a can of whole tomatoes, two of tomato soup, one of peas and one of cut wax beans. There was a 400 gram pack of Asian noodles, a box of four apple-strawberry pressed fruit bars, a bottle of a cucumber-lime-mint beverage, a 680 gram container of cherry tomatoes from Mexico, a bag of four crusty buns, a bag of frozen sliced peaches, a one-litre carton of lactose free 2% milk, two 100 gram containers of coconut Greek yogourt and two peeled and packaged hard boiled eggs. I was raised on a farm with chickens and I never imagined that someone would come along and sell pre-boiled and peeled eggs. It seems totally decadent to my mind. There was recently a listeria outbreak in the United States due to pre-boiled eggs but these are free range and come from Conestoga Farms in Ontario. I can’t imagine they will taste as good as freshly cooked eggs but they might be ideal for a homeless person like Charlotte and for her dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment