Monday 25 October 2021

All's Well That Ends Well


            On Sunday after midnight, I did my usual search for bedbugs and found none. I suspect that when I see one every few days it's coming from the electrical outlet near my bed and so I put duct tape over the plug holes yesterday. Hopefully that will help. 
            I translated the first two and a half verses of “Le vieux rocker” (The Old Rocker) by Serge Gainsbourg. It's a first-person lament about the changing times and their effect on the old music the speaker loves. 
            The landlord didn't come to turn the furnace on last night and it was four degrees outside.
            I weighed 89.5 kilos before breakfast. 
            I weighed 89.1 kilos before lunch. I had saltines with cream cheese, paprika, and a glass of limeade. 
            I read the first two scenes of Act 2 of All's Well That Ends Well. Helen offers to cure the king of his illness on the condition that she can pick a husband from the pool of nobles in his court. He agrees and she cures him. She picks Bertram to be her husband but Bertram protests because she is far below him in social rank. The king forces Bertram to agree and the wedding takes place but he swears privately he will never have sex with her and is considering running off to fight in the war. 
            Benji knocked on my door to tell me the landlord actually did come to turn the furnace on last night but apparently the furnace was already on and he accidentally turned it off. Benji went down and switched it on, so now we have heat when we want it. 
            They've taken down the A+ Sushi and Bibim across the street. On the right window it says “Daol coming soon.” I assume “Daol” will go up above where the old sign was. It looks like there will be new owners because last week a truck took away a lot of the old equipment. So I assume covid put them out of business. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride to Yonge and Bloor. I weighed 88.6 kilos when I got home. 
            I read some more of All's Well That Ends Well. Bertram has escaped his marriage to go to war but Helen goes after him disguised as a pilgrim. She is staying in the very place where he is pursuing another woman. 
            I made pizza on naan with Toscanese sauce, some pieces of chicken breast, and extra old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching an episode of Gomer Pyle. 
            In this fifth season file the video was so out of sync with the audio that I had to find it on YouTube to watch it. 
            In this story, Carter has to go away for four days and a new corporal is coming in who will have to take command of the platoon while he's gone. It turns out to be former private Duke Slater. Carter remembers Slater to be a goof-off and does not think he can handle the command but Duke assures him he's a new man. So Carter leaves but when Duke meets the platoon he does so as their old buddy and yet still plans on taking charge. The situation is awkward because his old friends don't think they have to take his new stripe seriously. Duke comes down extra hard on the men and works them until some of them start dreaming of catching him out of uniform. An officer observes this and tells him he has to find a balance. Duke is discouraged about his leadership ability but Gomer reminds him that when he was a private everybody followed him, proving he's a natural-born leader. Gomer says he's got to stop trying to be Sergeant Carter and be the kind of leader that Duke Slater is. But by the time Duke realizes this to be true, it is the night before Carter is to return. That night the men hear Duke outside washing the windows of the barracks by himself. First Gomer goes out to help and then all the men join in. The next day Carter finds everything in tip-top shape. All day I'd felt a cold coming on and my being stuffed up and sneezing was coincidental with the heat coming on. The heat was really blasting so I turned it off before bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment