Thursday 14 October 2021

October 14, 1991: I shoved my arms under the bed so the cops couldn't handcuff me but they thought I was reaching for a weapon and began to kick me in the spine


Thirty years ago today

            It was after midnight on Thanksgiving day when the cops arrived. I was in bed in the family room of Nancy's parents' house and I refused to leave. When they tried to force me I held back. I was pulled from the bed to the floor as I struggled to get away. I stuck my hands under the bed so they couldn't handcuff me and they later claimed that they'd thought I was reaching for a weapon to justify why they started kicking me in the spine. I could see Nancy's parents standing and watching in the doorway as they beat me. The cops turned the bed over, handcuffed me and one of them gave me a final punch in the head as punishment for making them work. They dragged me out the front door by the handcuffs. They asked me if I would walk and I said I needed my running shoes. They said, "You don't give the orders!" They pulled my aching shirtless body down the concrete steps. They became less mean in the car when they heard I was injured. They only charged me for trespassing and not resisting and then they drove me to the hospital. 
            I had my back x-rayed and was told there was no permanent damage.
            I got home at around 5:30. My keys had been lost in the struggle. It was excruciating to crawl in through the window. It was very painful making any kind of movement. I went to bed but could only sleep on my stomach. 
            Later I tried to reach Nancy but she wouldn't talk on the phone. I went up there but no one was home. I went back to my place and made myself some chicken. 
            I left about two hours of messages for Nancy on her mother's business answering machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment