Tuesday 19 October 2021

October 19, 1991: When I argued with the Beacher's owner about not allowing baby strollers, Nancy called me a bastard and walked out


Thirty years ago today

            Mike Copping called me on Saturday and said he'd gotten through to Nancy. She phoned me later to tell me she would bring the baby down to visit on the condition that I wouldn't discuss our situation. She didn't get to my place until around 16:00. We spent time with the baby there and then after she'd had a nap Nancy wanted to go for a walk. It was kind of cold and so after she got some stuff at the health food store and ate it on the sidewalk she wanted to go to The Beacher. We went in but they said we couldn't sit by the window with a stroller and that the only two seats were in the middle and so they couldn't serve us. That seemed absurd since the restaurant was nearly empty and so I asked to talk with the manager, ending up discussing it with the owner. 
            Nancy started crying, called me a bastard and walked out of the restaurant. I was offended by her behaviour because it wasn't fair that she would react that way just because I spoke my mind against an injustice. She used things like that as excuses against us being together. 
            We went to Cultures and Nancy sat there until way after closing time. We went back to my place where she called for her mother to come and get her. I cried for a long time with the baby in my arms while I was waiting. 
            That night I called Elaine and left a message.

No comments:

Post a Comment