Tuesday 5 May 2020

Fixing My Bike and Then Breaking it to Make it Work



            On Monday morning I finished reworking the rhymes for my translation of “L'homme à la tête de chou" (The Man with the Head of Cabbage) by Serge Gainsbourg.
            I worked on my journal.
            Around noon I cleaned the three camera tripods that I got from my upstairs neighbour, David. The silver Davidson tripod looks even more beautiful now than it did before.
            For lunch I had the can of mixed beans that I’d gotten from the food bank and added olive oil, seasoned salt and garlic.
            I was going to do my exercises in the afternoon but I wanted to listen to Amos and Andy while doing so. It took so long for Winzip to open that I just skipped the exercises all together and got ready for my bike ride. I found my back tire was flat so I went to the fancy bike shop next door and bought a tube. I gave the measurements as 700 X 320 but the guy said, “Are you sure it isn’t 700 X 32?" That made more sense and I saw later when I took my bike out onto the roof to change the tube that it was 700 X 32C and I’d thought the “C" was a “0”. I checked my tire for where the puncture was and found a small piece of glass that was just slightly pushing through the inside. I dug it out with my jackknife.
            I got confused when trying to put the wheel back on, perhaps because it was upside down rather than clamped to a stand like at Bike Pirates. I had to bring out my spare bike so I could see where the chain went.
            My neighbour Benji was hanging around and watching me change the tire.
            I took it for a test drive and it was mostly fine but then I saw the chain was outside of the chain guard. I didn’t want to take the wheel off again so I just bent the metal of guard out of the way and it was okay.
            The whole process of changing my tube took the same amount of time as a ride downtown and back.
            For dinner I had a potato, a carrot, sautéed mushrooms and the last of my pork ribs while watching two episodes of The Adventures of Robin Hood.
            The first story was episode eight of the fourth season and the final appearance of Alan Wheatley as the Sheriff of Nottingham. Sir Geoffrey Gilbert returns with his squire Roger from the Holy Land. He is showing Roger his property when they are confronted by the sheriff’s men and told they are trespassing on the sheriff's property. A fight ensues but Geoffrey and Roger are outnumbered and knocked unconscious. Robin and his men find and help them recover. Geoffrey says that this is his property but it has changed. The boundary of his property is a prominent stream but the stream is gone. Robin finds that the sheriff has had a dam built to change the boundary in his favour. Geoffrey challenges the sheriff’s claim and wants to take him to court. This would be very expensive and so when Friar Tuck points out that the next day is a “Love Day" when he can preside as judge, they agree. A Love Day in medieval times was a special day set aside when disputes could be settled outside of official courts as long as the person serving as judge was educated. The proceeding are held on the disputed property with the body of the court in the bed of what used to be the stream. When court begins Robin and his men begin to tear apart the sheriff’s dam. The sheriff sends his men out to look around while court is in session. The men discover Robin and his band disassembling the dam. There is a battle but the sheriff’s men are defeated and forced to labour at breaking up the dam. When Tuck is ready to give his ruling he throws his arms in the air. That is the signal for an arrow to be shot upstream to where another archer will shoot another and so on until Robin has the message to release the water. Tuck declares that the boundary is clearly the stream and so the sheriff thinks he has won but suddenly he is swept over by the torrent returning to its natural place and Sir Geoffrey has his property back.
            In the second story a poor serf named Will Stukley is arrested for having no money to pay his taxes and the sheriff decides to make an example of Stukley by sentencing him to being hanged at sundown. When Robin learns of this he disguises himself as a meat merchant and gives women his meat for the price of a kiss. He causes a riot in the Nottingham market by undercutting the other merchants but this is his intention because he wants an audience with the sheriff. When the sheriff learns that this is no ordinary merchant but that he has a large herd of cattle and sheep he offers to make a deal with him to buy one hundred head for twenty pounds. This is an unlikely meeting because Robin's face is not disguised and we know that the sheriff has met him on more than one occasion. Nonetheless the sheriff rides out to the countryside with the merchant and of course while riding through Sherwood Forest the sheriff is captured. The sheriff is told that whatever happens to Will Stukley will happen to him and so he writes a letter to instruct his guards to exchange Stukley for him outside the city walls. But some of the sheriff’s men are hiding on the walls waiting for the sheriff to be safe so they can fire their crossbows. At that moment however Friar Tuck leads a funeral procession out of the gate and into the line of fire, thus shielding Robin and his men.

No comments:

Post a Comment