Sunday 10 May 2020

Food Bank Adventures: Gift Economy



            On Saturday morning I dreamed I was organizing and interpreting some medieval song lyrics. I was just on the verge of figuring them out when the alarm went off.
            I got up feeling extremely groggy. The twists and bends of yoga helped somewhat to wring the sleep out of me but in many ways it was like squeezing the juice from a potato by hand. Song practice served to blow out most of the internal cobwebs and so I was pretty much awake by 7:30.
            I worked out the chords for “Chez Max, Coiffeur Pour Hommes” by Serge Gainsbourg. The chords are actually the same in the same progression as the previous song on the album but it was just a matter of figuring out where they fit with the different lyrics.
            At 9:45 I went to stand in line at the food bank. The line was pretty short compared to two weeks before, with only about ten people ahead of me.
            I noticed that there was a line of striped traffic cones along the outer edge of the bike lane. At first it looked like they were planning on building a closed off bike lane on Queen like they have on Bloor. But the cones were only the length of the block in front of the food bank and it turned out that they were there to create a walking path for pedestrians passing the line-ups in front of the food bank and park so people could maintain a social distance while getting by.
            The woman with the hennaed hair who has been serving as the acting manager since Valdene left came down the line with cart. She announced that they would be giving out ground beef and chicken that day and so they were also distributing barbecue sauce. When she got to me she called me by name and told me I could take two. I figured that since she knew my name it was high time that I knew hers and so I asked. She told me her name is Rosemarie. The product was Diana Sauce and I took on honey garlic and one original. Rosemarie commented as she walked away that it’s better than paying $3 for them at No Frills and then she laughed loudly through her mask.
            The guy behind me seemed to want everybody to know that he didn’t want any barbecue sauce. He informed us that he used to use it for ketchup until he found out he could buy ketchup at the dollar store.
            Then Beth arrived complaining about how she can’t stand her neighbour. I asked, “Isn’t that a song?” and then I sang, “I can’t stand my neighbour” to the tune of “Won’t You Be My Neighbour?” by Mr Rogers.
            Beth began to talk, as she often does, of unnamed people that wish her dead and how she deals with them with a smile. I said that it reminded me of the old saying, “Living well is the best revenge.”
            Beth complained about the hearts on which we were standing and declared that they were hateful because they aren’t two metres apart. I assured her that they are two metres apart. She said that two metres is seven feet but I told her it’s about six and a half.
            Then she said she was offended by the colour choices that were made when the hearts were painted. She argued that they should have just alternated black and white hearts. She was particularly repulsed by the colour of the heart that she was standing on, which was a pastel orange. She said, “Pastels are from the eighties!" I guess that’s true when one thinks of the clothes worn in the early stages of the video era and on the show Miami Vice.
            Marlena came down the line with a cart and it looked like she was handing out litre cartons of milk but it turned out to be liquid eggs. I was surprised when she handed me and everybody else three of them. They must have received a truckload of them. Since I already had almost a dozen real eggs at home and I only eat three eggs a week, I didn’t know what I was going to do with three litres of liquid eggs. Maybe I could sit on them and hatch liquid chickens. Good name for a band: “Liquid Chicken”.
            The big guy who normally sits behind the computer downstairs came down the line with a small tablet to check everyone’s names off. When he got to me, rather than showing him my card and having him struggle to read the number while typing, I just read him my number. I had to repeat it because the tablet was very slow.
            I asked Beth if she’d gotten her barbecue sauce, since she hadn’t been in line when Rosemarie had handed it out. She said she got it but she couldn’t use it for beef because she couldn’t digest that kind of meat. Since meat and fruit are the only things that the human body can naturally digest I asked her if she had any problems digesting beef when she was a child. She told me she’d only had the problem since she lost a kidney. Certainly too much red meat is bad for the kidneys.
            From the time that I first arrived in the line-up until Marlena rolled the cart up for me to take a box not much more than half an hour had passed. I moved my box against the side of 1501 Queen to sort through it and transfer what I wanted to my backpack and bag. People started moving forward to get their boxes but Marlena reminded them to stay two metres apart and to stay on their spots so she could come to them.
            I took a bag of rainbow tortilla chips; a box of wheat squares cereal (A generic version of Shreddies); a jar of tomato and basil pasta sauce; a 166 gram bag of Ghirardelli caramel filled chocolate squares, which is listed on the company website for $33.
In the 1830s Domenico Ghirardelli sailed to Uruguay to work in a coffee and chocolate business. Nine years later he opened a shop in Peru. When the gold rush hit California he went first to prospect but then opened a general store in a tent. He built several stores in San Francisco, some of which burned or failed. He eventually began to specialize in chocolate, coffee and spices. His three sons took over when he died in 1892 and by 1900 it was exclusively a chocolate and mustard business. The company was bought by Quaker in 1992 and then by the Swiss chocolate company Lindt and Sprungli in 1998. I made the mistake of putting the chocolate in my kitchen cupboard. The heat is still on and the squares turned to individually wrapped chocolate caramel puddles. I transferred them to the fridge.
I got two bottles of Jones cane sugar orange cream soda; a bottle of coconut water; a litre of 3.5% milk; two 382 ml envelopes of mandarin oranges in juice; a long yellow pepper; three onions; six eggs; and as promised to go with the barbecue sauce, a bag of frozen ground beef that felt like it was at least a kilogram.
Also in the box was another litre of liquid eggs. There was no point trying to give it away because everybody felt like they had more than they could handle.
This food bank’s social distancing system with the boxes brought up to the street results each time in a moment at the end when people give what they don’t need to each other. It’s interesting because it’s more natural than a barter system and we revert to something similar to a tribal gift economy in that moment. I gave away the several buns I was given, my spaghetti, another bag of pasta, potatoes, carrots, canned corn and microwave popcorn. Beth wanted to give me a box of gravy cubes but I told her I make my own gravy. She said she didn’t know how to do that. I said all she had to do was mix the pan drippings with a bit of water and warm it in a small pot on the stove. Then mix flour and butter or margarine to make a ball of dough. Hold the ball over the pot and drop little pea sized bits of dough into the pot and then stir it until it’s smooth. She said she couldn’t use the cubes because she couldn’t eat beef, but I looked at the ingredients and even though there’s a picture of beef on the package there are no meat or dairy by-products in the gravy cubes at all. 
There were a couple of boxes on the sidewalk with unwanted food still in them as people walked away. I took them and left them by the door. Carrying back downstairs what food bank clients reject might serve to communicate to the volunteers what they shouldn’t bother putting into the boxes in the first place.
            I took my food home to put away and then headed back out to the supermarket. I was surprised on leaving my building to see that the air was blowing with little white balls of ice. They had covered the ground and it looked like all of Parkdale was taking part in a wedding as a storm of confetti descended on everyone. It had stopped by the time I got to No Frills and all the snow melted right away.
            There was no line-up at No Frills and so I was able to walk right in. I bought a few bags of grapes and a watermelon. There were sirloin steaks on sale but there was only one pack left. I got four for $10. I picked up some mouthwash and shampoo, a tin of coffee and some Greek yogourt.
            There was a single line-up for all the cashiers. A young woman appeared to step ahead of everybody else, although I didn’t pay it much attention until the other customers began to argue with her. She insisted that she had stood in line for ten minutes but one guy said she must have been invisible. I certainly hadn’t seen her ahead of me until I got near the front. When a second cashier opened up and offered to serve the next customer the woman stepped forward. The cashier told her she hadn’t waited in line. Finally the woman dumped all of her items onto the conveyer belt and stormed out of the store.
            I had crackers and cheese and pie and skyr for lunch.
            I worked on my journal for the rest of the day.
            For dinner I had an egg, two sausages and a piece of toast with a beer while watching Robin Hood.
            The first story begins with Robin and his men robbing a man travelling through Sherwood. Robin tells him that their tradition is to only take half his purse and then to make him a guest for supper at their camp. The traveller wants no part of that and instead wagers his whole purse with Robin that he can outshoot him with a bow. Robin wins the contest and the man leaves angrily. On the ground Robin finds that the man has dropped a medallion that reads, “Mark Crispin: Champion Bowman of England”. Meanwhile the Deputy Sheriff of Nottingham and Lord Repton are dining with Lady Marian after a day of hunting on her estate. The two men begin to argue as to which of them has the best bowmen. This results in a wager by Repton for 500 marks that his best archer can beat the deputy’s in a contest. The deputy immediately seeks out Mark Crispin only to discover that is who Repton has hired. The deputy rides to Sherwood forest alone to make a proposition to Robin Hood. He offers him a truce for one day and half the purse and adds that if he loses 500 marks he will have to make up for it by raising taxes in Sherwood. Robin comes to the contest wearing a beard. Before the contest Repton raises the pot to 1200 marks. Once they begin shooting Crispin tells Repton that he is sure that his opponent is Robin Hood. Repton tells the deputy to concede or he will have him charged with doing business with an outlaw. Robin wins all of the contests and when he is challenged by Repton to identify himself he produces a medallion and says that he is Mark Crispin. Robin also accuses Crispin of being Robin Hood and since he cannot produce identification they try to arrest him. Crispin gets away.
            In the second story Little John and Robin’s men try to rob a knight named Sir Hubert de Vere. He says he has no money but he can owe it to them. They can collect from Fitzwalter Hall after Hubert has married the Lady Marian. Upon hearing this John insists that Hubert meet Robin Hood. Hubert has dinner at Robin’s camp and Robin has Dick take over as host so that Robin can better study Hubert from a distance. Hubert says he’s never seen Marian and isn’t expecting much but after he saved her father’s life in the Holy Land Marian’s father offered his daughter as Hubert’s bride. Hubert admits that he arranged to save Lord Fitzwalter’s life for ambitious reasons. Meanwhile Marian is just learning to her dismay that a marriage has been arranged for her. She mentions that four years before that her father arranged a marriage between her and a German baron but he never showed up. Marian’s servant Ada has an idea how she can get rid of Hubert. She declares that she is the homeliest woman in Christendom and proposes that she pose as Lady Marian. If Hubert is looking for a ladylove then he will take one look at Ada and leave. If he accepts her then it proves that he is only after Marian’s property. Marian agrees to the ruse and poses as Ada when Hubert arrives. Hubert is immediately attracted to Marian as a servant girl and is constantly trying to get his hands and mouth onto her. Marian reveals that she really is the lady of the manor and the wedding plans go ahead. The bishop is waiting in the chapel to perform the ceremony but suddenly Robin arrives, speaking in a German accent and posing as Baron Bloomberg with whom the previous marriage arrangement had been made. The baron says it must be decided by combat who will marry Marian. Hubert accepts the challenge and so he gets to choose the weapons. They go to the armoury and Hubert picks up the weapon with the handle, the chain and the spiked metal sphere. He calls it a morning star but the baron says he’s never heard the name. Hubert takes that as a good reason to pick that weapon for their duel. They use morning stars and shields. After some swinging and banging Hubert manages to knock Robin’s shield from his hand, but Robin dodges and catches Hubert’s chain so it wraps around the handle of Robin’s weapon, thus pulling Hubert’s weapon away from him. Hubert yields and admits that he had arranged for men to attack Marian’s father and then pretended to save his life. Marian’s uncle insists that the baron marry Marian at once but just then Tuck, Little John and another of Robin’s men arrive disguised as soldiers of the Holy Roman Empire, arrest the baron and take him away.

No comments:

Post a Comment