Wednesday 8 September 2021

Diane Sayer


            On Tuesday after midnight while brushing my teeth I was able to bend and lift my right arm to floss and brush my teeth for the first time since my accident on Friday. 
            Before going to sleep I did my usual search of the baseboards and walls for bedbugs and found none. So I've only found two live ones since pest control treated the place last Wednesday. 
            My mobility during yoga wasn't much better than the day before. I was only able to almost lift my arm straight up a couple of times. But I managed to lift it straight forward a few times and slightly to the side. 
            I memorized the first two verses of "La p’tite Agathe" by Serge Gainsbourg and adjusted my translation. I've changed the subject's name to "Little Kate" because it fits the English rhymes better.
            During song practice a squirrel crossed Queen Street on the wires towards my place carrying what looked like half a corn cob in its mouth. Once it got to the north side it went down to a lower wire and then jumped to the arm that holds the traffic light. Then it crawled to where the arm meets the back of the light and wedged its prize there to hide it. Then it climbed back to the wire and headed east.
            I weighed 89.4 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday I cleaned the insides of the cups in my muffin pan. I still have to do the top, sides and bottom. Maybe I'll have it done before school starts in a couple of days. There's still a small saucepan and lid, a folding steamer basket and a deep fryer basket to clean and after that the storage drawer under the stove. I had expected to get a lot more cleaning done this summer than I did. 
            I weighed 88.9 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride with my eye out for bike shops that might be able to replace my front brakes. I stopped at Brockton Cyclery and the guy looked but didn't have the centre caliper brakes I need. He recommended Ride Away at Dundas and Palmerston because they have second hand parts. Any new brakes of that type would be expensive. 
            I rode up to the top of Brock and the guy checked but didn't have what I need. Down the street at Sweet Pete's they had two kids working the front of the room who seemed to be brand new on the job. One of them took my bike back to the mechanic to ask because I wasn't allowed back there. He came back to tell me they couldn't tell me yes or no and so I would have to leave my bike with them so the mechanic could measure my brakes and see if they had or could get the right size. I asked why he couldn't just take note of the measurements without my leaving my bike but he didn't know. I figured if the mechanic couldn't do that there was no point dealing with Sweet Pete's. 
            I continued along the bike lane and made it to Palmerston without seeing another bike shop and so I headed south to Dundas. I found Ride Away just around the corner but they were closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. I'll check them out on Wednesday. 
            I rode down Palmerston to Queen and headed home. But when I got there I remembered that I'd planned on stopping at Freshco for milk. I went out to the corner place but they didn't have skim and so I walked to Lucky Supermarket and got a litre to tide me over until I go to Freshco on Thursday. 
            I weighed 89.4 kilos at 17:45. I worked on my poem series "My Blood In A Bug." 
            I searched for video clips that might fit with the line "take a razor and shave the hair around the temples then rub electrode jelly there" from my song "Instructions For Electroshock Therapy." I couldn't find anything for the full line and eventually shortened the search to just "shave the temples." The only thing I could find was the razor scene from "Un Chien Andalou." I bookmarked that because I might be able to just use some moments from it. I might not need much of it before I can re-synchronize the concert video of my song with the studio audio halfway through the line. 
            I worked on the graffiti in my photo "Anti Gravity's Rainbow" contructing an "E" and then an "R."
            I had french fries with gravy and a chicken leg while watching two episodes of "Gomer Pyle."
            In the first story Gomer sees Bunny sitting in a restaurant with an attractive man who gives her a ring. He tells Carter who arranges to get back at her by breaking a date with her by telling her he has to work, then gets Gomer to take her to a certain restaurant ahere she can see him sitting with and tickling the attractive Shirley Sokolik. Bunny is very upset and leaves. The next night Gomer sees Bunny giving the ring back to the man and when Gomer tells Carter this he figures he's won. He takes Gomer to Bunny's and gets him to tell her Carter's willing to forgive and forget while he stays out of sight to surprise her. Bunny doesn't know what she would need to be forgiven for and so Gomer explains. Bunny says the man that gave her and to whom she returned the ring was a jeweller. They had originally met so he could sell her an expensive ring for Carter's birthday so she could give him something different from the usual after shave. Then she says now she doesn't ever want to see Carter again. But on Carter's birthday Gomer explains the misunderstanding to Bunny and so she forgives Carter and meets him to give him his birthday present, a bottle of after shave. 
            Shirley was played by Diane Sayer, who played a victim in "The Strangler". She sang with The Rat Pack in "Robin and the Seven Hoods". She played Ann Margaret's juvenile delinquent friend in "Kitten With A Whip". She played Wally's bad girl date in one episode of "Leave It To Beaver". She played an unreasonably demanding love of Dobie Gillis on one episode of that show. 


            In the second story a former colonel friend of Camp Henderson's colonel is coming to the base and so the men have to paint the insides and outsides of their barracks. The weather report calls for good weather and so Carter arranges for his platoon to paint the outside. But Gomer has a special way of predicting the weather with a weird dance he does that seems to be accurate every time. He says it's going to rain and it does. Since Carter had requisitioned the outdoor paint he falls a day behind the other platoon leaders. The next day the weather report calls for rain and so Carter has the men paint inside but Gomer says it's not going to rain and he's right. The next day calls for sunny weather and so they are going to finally paint the outside but Gomer calls for hale and it hales. Now Carter believes Gomer but suddenly Gomer gets sick. Carter sends him to sick bay and when he comes back he predicts the day of the dinner party for the colonel's friend will have nice weather and so Carter tells the colonel he can have the party outide despite the weather bureau's prediction that it will rain. Gomer is wrong and it rains. He's wrong because sick bay removed the corn from his foot.

No comments:

Post a Comment