Wednesday 1 September 2021

Joy Harmon


            On Tuesday at around 0:30 before going to sleep I did my usual search for bedbugs and found none. Time will tell if my taping over the electrical outlet near my bed will help. I'm wondering if it's from travelling from another unit through the electrical system that they got into my apartment in the first place. At first I was worried that if bedbugs are behind the outlet that they could come out through the nearest outlet under my desk, but there are plugs in both sets of holes, so they probably couldn't. 
            I finished revising my translation of "La java des chaussettes à clous" (The Tap dance of the Hobnail Boots) by Boris Vian with the final chorus: "These are the hobnail boots / the zealous aids to judges' wisdom / Drop your fears you do not need them / rest in the charming reasons / for the hobnail boots."
            I ran through my translation of "Chavirer la France" (Bowling Over France) by Serge Gainsbourg uploaded it to Christian's Translations where I began to position the verses and chords to prepare it for blog publication. 
            I weighed 89.4 kilos before breakfast. 
            After shaving and showering I had just enough time to get dressed and head up to St Clair and Yonge for my back to school haircut. It took me about thirty three minutes to get to Top Cuts. I guess the restaurants with the covid patios got permission from the city to remove the bike stands that used to be there. I had to hitch my bike to a no parking sign. Ahead of me with Amy was a guy getting a buzz cut. At one point near the end he took the electric clipper from her hand and started doing it himself. After he left I asked her why he doesn't just get his own clipper. She said she thinks he's homeless and that he's one of the people that got recently driven out of the tent communities. I don't think he paid the full amount for his buzz cut. 
            After my haircut I was pretty tired riding home. I weighed 89 kilos before a late lunch followed by a late siesta. I slept about fifteen minutes longer than usual but thought at first that I'd slept for an extra hour. 
            I worked on my poem series "My Blood In A Bug." 
            In my Movie Maker project of creating a video for my song "Instructions For Electroshock Therapy" I trimmed the part that I want of the film "Rosemary's Baby" from one minute down to eleven seconds to match my line "undress the patient and then lay them down just like a sacrifice." I'll insert it into the main video tomorrow and probably trim it a little more. 
            I worked a bit on my "Anti Gravity's Rainbow" photo trying to turn a jumble of graffiti into an "A." 
            I had a potato with gravy and a chicken breast while watching the last two episodes of the second season of "Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C." 
            In the first story Carter is offered a desk job for two weeks but he turns it down because he thinks his platoon would fall apart without him. But a lot of the men would appreciate a break from their sergeant and so Duke manipulates Corporal Boyle to feel that Carter should have more confidence in him. When Boyle tells Carter he can handle it Carter agrees to take the job. But they get along so well without Carter that he starts to feel unneeded. After he hears they did well on the rifle range he puts in for a transfer to do the desk job permanently. Gomer hears about this just as Carter is on his way to make one last inspection. Gomer rushes ahead and deliberately makes a mess of the barracks so Carter will feel needed and want to stay. It works. 
             In the second story Carter is in a restaurant with an old girlfriend named Barbara. She talks about the wild times they used to have and suggests they pick up where they left off, and he's not against the idea. Suddenly he sees Gomer and goes over to urge him not to mention to Bunny that he saw him there with another girl. Suddenly Carter sees a man with a gun trying to rob the owner and he instinctively springs into action. He karate chops the gun from the man's hand and then subdues him with a judo throw. Then Carter grabs Barbara away but the police come and want to talk with him about what happened. Carter does not want Bunny to read in the papers that he was there with another woman and so he tells the cops it was Gomer that stopped the crook. Later Carter tells Gomer that if he doesn't want to see him and Bunny break up he's got to lie a little. Gomer of course is very uncomfortable with lying and so when a reporter comes to interview him for the radio he tells the truth but edits it: "There was this feller with a gun and somebody had to do something and well, somebody did ... It was judo ... it was Marine training ..." Carter starts to feel bad that Gomer is getting all the glory and Gomer feels bad about concealing the whole truth. Finally they both go to the chaplain who advises Carter to tell Bunny the truth. Carter and Gomer meet Bunny in the same restaurant but before they can explain someone breaks a bottle and is about to attack the owner. Carter once again moves instinctively and subdues the bad guy. Then Gomer explains to Bunny the situation. She is thrilled that Carter was a hero twice and seems okay that he was with another girl until she finds out Barbara is beautiful. Then she gets mad. 
            Barbara was played by Joy Harmon, who was a former Miss Connecticut. She was discovered by Groucho Marx on his show "You Bet Your Life" and then worked with him on "Tell It To Groucho." She co-starred in "Village of the Giants". She had a role on the soap opera "Never Too Young." She was more successful as a pin-up model and later started a baking business called "Aunt Joy's Cakes."





No comments:

Post a Comment