Saturday 18 September 2021

September 18, 1991: It was day 7 of the TTC strike. I biked from Scarborough to to the Beaches and it was faster than the TTC anyway


Thirty years ago today 

            On Wednesday morning it was the seventh day of the TTC strike. I called the number that Marcus had given me to connect with Mr. Breakfast over our mutual interest in art. I arranged to meet him for lunch at 14:30 then I borrowed Susan's bike and rode from Steeles and Warden down to the Beaches. I made it in an hour and it was faster than the TTC. I did some work at my place and then I walked to meet Breakfast at Lee and Queen. He was a short, skinny, long haired and bearded guy with three black stripes tattooed around his left arm. Marcus had told me that he also had a pierced penis. I read him out loud the stuff that I'd submitted to Grub Magazine and the offended responses that I'd received and he thought it was great. I gave him copies of my writing that another publication had rejected and he gave me a comical questionnaire to fill out. 
            I went back to my place and did some more cleaning. Then I had to go back to Scarborough for my driving lesson from Mike Copping. I pedaled hard to get there on time but it's uphill going north and the wind was against me. I got off the bike to walk at York Mills and I stopped for a drink. I got to Nancy's place at 19:40 and rang the doorbell. Nancy's mother said no one was there but her aesthetics customer and she asked me to wait outside until she was gone. She told me that Mike had come and left ten minutes before. I waited for him to come back. When Nancy, her sister Susan and the baby returned I went in the house but I was still looking out for Mike. I was pissed off.

No comments:

Post a Comment