Friday 10 September 2021

September 10, 1991: I was worried that Nancy would pass her inhibitions on to the baby


Thirty years ago today

            On Tuesday morning I was caring for the baby when she started getting a little cranky. I thought she might be hungry and so I called to Nancy, who was upstairs. She said, "Just a minute" but then ten mibnutes later she still hadn't come and so I chastized her. Nancy started crying and then her mother came and said, "Why don't you leave her alone? You're always yelling at her!" Then her father joined in saying, "What are you doing here anyway? You don't live here! You didn't even ask to stay!" I answered, "I'm here because my child asked me to be here!" Nancy cried a lot but we talked after a while and then I went to my place. 
            We met later to go to the Toronto Film Festival but found out that we couldn't bring the baby in because all of the movies were automatically restricted since they had too many to rate them all. I was really pissed off. We went instead to see :"Dead Again" but Nancy kept on taking the baby out of the theatre during certain scenes. That frustrated me because of all people a baby wouldn't be affected by a violent movie as easily as anyone else because she couldn't conceptualize that it's supposed to be scary and therefore respond by being scared. I thought that babies are unaffected by acting. Anyway, Nancy finally finished watching the movie and liked it but took the baby out again during the last scene. I was worried that Nancy would pass all of her inhibitions on to the baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment