Sunday 12 September 2021

September 12, 1991: When the counsellor said if we didn't name the baby soon she'd be taken away from us I found a name for the counsellor


Thirty years ago today

            On Thursday morning Nancy's father drove Nancy, the baby and I to a counselor in Scarborough. I started off by telling her that Nancy and I had been to a few counselors before but had made the mistake of stressing whether or not we should be together as the issue. I said that we should be talking about how to communicate in order to fulfill our mutual responsibility towards our child. Then the counselor almost right off started telling Nancy how she could go about getting rid of me. As she talked she asked what she should call the baby. Nancy said it didn't matter but she'd been considering "True" and I said she could call her "the baby." The counselor went right ahead calling her "True." Then when she told us that if we can't find a name for the baby she could be taken away from us I called her a "fucking bitch." She ended the session at that point. 
            It was only after leaving the counsellor's office that we realized the TTC strike had begun that day. We had to walk back to Nancy's neighbourhood from there and we had breakfast at Bamburgh Plaza.

No comments:

Post a Comment