Sunday 2 August 2020

Food Bank Adventures: Finocchio



            On Saturday morning I translated the line I’d missed in “Bourrée de complexes" (Buried in Complexes) by Boris Vian. I guess I missed it because it basically says the same thing as the previous line but with a different rhyme. I still have to adjust the metre.
            I memorized half of “Lunatic Asylum” by Serge Gainsbourg.
            During song practice I continued to struggle with playing the chords more precisely and I find that it makes my fingers so tired that I screw up even the songs that I normally do well.
            I arrived at the food bank at around 9:45 and stood on the green heart beside the cables that run up to the power line pole.
I started trying to read my book but they already started to hand out the food before 10:00. Rosemarie came down the line with her clipboard to take down out membership numbers. I suggested to her that she tell the new manager to come up and say hello to everyone in line, since all the other managers have had some kind of interaction with the clients. Rosemarie thought that was a good idea and she said she’d tell her but she once again said, “She's only twenty three and she's a nice little girl but she's still trying to ..." and she didn't finish.
Rosemarie said people are really missing being able to come downstairs and shop. I told her that if it always went this fast I wouldn't care.
The plastic milk crates containing the food were double sized this time.
The only two non-refrigerated items I took were the pack of Oreo fudge dipped thin bites and the 750 ml container of mayonnaise. I like mayonnaise but it scares me a bit because of the calcium disodium EDTA that manufacturers tend to put into it. But the only harmful side effect from this that studies show is digestive problems that would only occur if one were to slather the mayonnaise on everything at every meal.
I only held onto about half of what I was given. I kept the half litre of 2% milk; the two small containers of fruit bottom yogourt; a nice round loaf of Portuguese corn bread; a pint of blueberries; the face mask; and a pack of fourteen long, thin sticks of finocchio or fennel salami. This type of salami was developed in Tuscany in the late Middle Ages or the Renaissance using fennel instead of pepper because pepper was very expensive while fennel grew wild and abundantly. The product that I received is made by a Canadian company called Soleterra d”Italia that works in partnership with a family business in Italy called Simonini.
I put the box of Cheerios; the bag of rice; the can of tomatoes; the pack of tofu; the little containers of jam and pancake syrup; and the six eggs back into the carton. Since Billy the Cuban wrestling coach was still in line behind me and had yet to receive his carton I walked it over to him to offer him first pick of anything I didn’t want. As I was approaching at first he shook his head but then he gestured for me to bring it. He ended up taking the whole thing and said he’d take the milk carton back to the front when it was empty. That was easy.
This week’s haul from the food bank was pretty sparse in terms of vegetables and fruit, other than the blueberries. The best and most interesting score this time was the pack of finocchio sausages.
I was home by 10:00, put my food away and headed back for the supermarket. On the way I made a couple of stops. I went to Vina Pharmacy to ask them to fax my doctor to get him to refill a prescription. I also needed to know from them whether my prescription would be covered now that I no longer have a drug plan from Ontario Works. The young woman behind the counter said check and let me know in a few minutes. Meanwhile I went over to Freedom Mobile to pay for my August phone plan. I was fifteen cents short of the $28.25 and since they are always short of change they accepted what I had rather than having to give me change for an extra $20. I went back to Vina and found out that the prescription is covered now that I’m a pensioner.
            At No Frills I bought three bags of cherries, mouthwash, Murphy’s Oil Soap, kitchen bags, some Canadian honey, a tub of margarine and some Greek yogourt.
            For lunch I had a toasted cheese and lettuce sandwich on the last of my croissants.
            As usual for a Saturday I didn’t do any exercises or take a bike ride in the afternoon because I wanted to finish writing my Food Bank Adventure.
            That night I had a fried egg, a warmed up naan and a stick of finocchio with a beer while watching two episodes of "The Adventures of Sir Lancelot".
            In the first story Lancelot is just returning to Camelot with his new squire Brian after the adventure in which they met. Lancelot learns that Guinevere has been abducted by Mordred and his father King Pell and head immediately for Pell’s castle. Brian follows him even though he has been told not to. Lancelot enters the castle disguised as a peddler but is captured and thrown in the dungeon. Brian gets into the castle buy telling the guard he wants to do some chores in the kitchen in return for scraps to feed his very large and hungry family. He makes it inside just as the gates are closed because they are expecting Arthur and his knights to lay siege to the castle. Brian convinces the dungeon guard that he is needed at the battlements and then helps Lancelot to escape. Arthur arrives and Pell tells him that he will only release Guenevere unharmed if Arthur signs a treaty giving him Northumbria. Lancelot fights his way out just as Arthur signs the treaty. Lancelot demands satisfaction from Mordred for having attacked him when he was unarmed. Mordred at first doesn’t want to fight until people begin to laugh. When Lancelot is ready to kill Mordred his father offers to give back Northumberland if he spares his son’s life.
            The second story is centred on Lancelot’s squire Brian. Lancelot presents Brian to Arthur and asks that he be trained as a knight. Arthur agrees and Brian is placed in a dormitory with the other trainees. Brian is treated as an outsider and young Osbert is encouraged by Sir Glavin to make sure he is driven out. That night the boys tell him that to prove he’s not a coward he must go to the dormitory of the girls learning to be handmaidens and steal the nightcap from the head of the sleeping matron. Brian sneaks past the guards and makes it into the dormitory. A girl named Mary who had been watching Brian train earlier sees him, gets up from her bed and leads him into the hall. She asks him what he’s doing and he tells her. Mary tells Brian that the boys are messing with him since the matron does not wear a night cap. She gives Brian her own night cap that she wears in the winter. But when Brian returns to the boys dormitory the knights in charge arrive to announce that the queen’s ring has been stolen. Brian’s things are searched and gold part of the ring is found but with the gem missing. Brian is placed in the dungeon but Guenevere believes him when he says he’s innocent and although he must still prove it she orders him set free. Brian is ostracized by the other boys because they think he is guilty. Mary later tells Brian that Sir Glavin, who is a landless knight has recently asked her to run away with him because he will soon have a grand estate. She and Brian suspect that Glavin is the thief and so Brian goes looking for him. At the stables he overhears Osbert confronting Glavin and demanding the bag of gold he’d promised him. Glavin says said he would give him the gold if he helped to put the blame on Brian. Since they are not convinced of Brian’s guilt he owes him nothing. Osbert says he will raise the alarm and so Glavin attacks him. Brian jumps Glavin and goes up against his sword and shield with a broom until Lancelot comes in and finds the jewel on Glavin’s person. Brian is allowed to continue his training.
            Sir Glavin was played by Patrick McGoohan, who of course went on to star in “Danger Man” and then “The Prisoner”.
            Mary was played by Simone McQueen. It looks like she became a pin-up model for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment