Saturday 12 December 2020

Stretching an Essay


            On Friday morning I had a bit of trouble getting my guitar in tune at the beginning of song practice because it wasn’t only my B string that needed tuning. It took me about fifteen minutes and so halfway through rehearsal I shortened most of my songs so I could finish by 8:30.
            I worked on expanding the British Literature assignment that I’d gotten a D minus on from three pages to five. The professor offered that he would personally reassess it if I resubmitted a longer version in essay format by December 18. I don’t want to wait that long. I was hoping to get it done today. 
            At 10:30 I took a siesta until noon and then continued. For lunch I had chips with salsa and sour cream. 
            By dinnertime I’d added a page and a half to the paper, so I just needed half a page more. It’s not easy making an essay you thought was finished two pages longer, but it looks like I could have it finished sometime on Saturday and then I can relax for the rest of the weekend. 
            I had a potato, a chicken wing and gravy while watching part two of Quatermass and the Pit.
            The army has taken over the digging up of what had been thought to be an unexploded bomb from WWII. But the large cylindrical object covered with disk shaped bumps was underneath bones that are five million years old. A Geiger counter is brought in an radiation is detected but after analyzing a soil sample it is determined to not be dangerous because the thorium half life is five million years. Next door to the excavation site is a building that has been abandoned for thirty years because people said it was haunted. Quatermass explores the house and thinks he hears something in another room but when he looks there is nothing there. He goes to speak with Mrs Chilcot, who is staying in the home of a tea reader named Miss Groome. Mrs Chilcot had the house next to the abandoned one. She says she lived in that place through two world wars and no bombs ever fell near her house. She confirms however that strange things could be seen and heard in the now abandoned house such as objects moving by themselves. Meanwhile more of the missile-like object has been uncovered. Another skull and some bones have been found inside. Quatermass determines that the non metal surface of the object is harder than diamond. There is also an impenetrable wall between the entrance to the bulkhead and the front. One of the soldiers screams and says that he saw a figure walk through the wall. 
            Mrs Chilcot was played by Hilda Barry, who was born in 1884 and had a long career on stage, in movies and on television until her death at the age of 94. 
            Miss Groome was played by Madge Brindley, who co-starred in Hobson’s Choice, Rosencrantz and Gildenstern and End of the Beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment