Sunday 14 February 2021

February 14, 1991: They dropped me at Kennedy and Steeles to sell flowers in a snowstorm


Thirty years ago today 

            I finished Nancy's Valentines card early Thursday morning and wrote a little poem to go with it before getting a little sleep. 
            Nancy called at 5:30 and said to meet her and her parents at the donut shop near Broadview and Queen at 6:15. They weren't there but I waited while drinking a Coke until 6:37 and then walked to the flower place. I registered and Nancy was late. After a long, cold wait in the warehouse followed by a stupid demonstration and a cheer led by the boss, I was taken in the back of a van to Brampton. On the way I chatted with a young woman who was from mainland China. 
           They stuck me at the corner of Kennedy and Steeles in a snowstorm. I tried selling flowers from the roadside to the passing traffic but it was impossible and so I moved to the front of the donut shop. After ten hours and the company's commission I made $54 for myself and my sales were the second best in my crew. One guy only took home $7.

No comments:

Post a Comment