Saturday 6 February 2021

Pickles


            When I got up to pee a little after midnight on Friday morning I saw that the wifi was back on.
            Because it had been a warm Thursday the furnace went off overnight and so I had to use my comforter. 
            After yoga I almost worked out the chords for “Vie, mort et resurrection d’un amour passion” (Life, Death and Resurrection of Passionate Love) by Serge Gainsbourg. I just had two lines left. 
            At 12:30 I felt sleepy and took an early siesta. 
           When I got up at 14:00 I had kettle chips, salsa and yogourt for lunch. 
           In the afternoon I took an earlier bike ride than usual. On the way up Brock I found a Norton Anthology of World Literature, although it was slightly water damaged and some of the pages were bent. Near the top of Brock there has been a vacant lot for a couple of years for almost that long ago someone put signs on the fence called the lot “Bloordale Beach”. They also defaced the Danger and No Trespassing signs in various ways to read for example as “Linger! So Relaxing” and other mildly amusing messages. The Bloor bike lane had been mostly cleared but there were a few puddles. It was especially cold riding south on Ossington. 
           When I got home I went back to work on my Brit Lit 2 paragraph assignment. I got my word count down to within the required range of 200-300 and started refining my argument. 
           For dinner I had a potato, my last curried chicken leg and some gravy while watching Andy Griffith. 
           In this story Aunt Bee has made a batch of pickles and although she is a great cook otherwise she is horrible at making pickles. Andy, Barney and Opie dread eating her pickles but are too nice to hurt her feelings. Andy decides that the only thing to do is to buy pickles from the store, remove Bee’s pickles and put the store-bought ones in her jars. Barney takes the jars of Bee’s pickles out on the highway and stops cars that are travelling out of state. He gives the drivers jars of pickles as a reward for safe driving until Bee’s pickles are scattered from Oregon to Nova Scotia. But the plan backfires because when Bee sees how much the boys like what she thinks are her pickles, she decides to enter them in the county fair pickle competition. But Clare Johnson wins every year and Andy thinks it wouldn’t be fair if she was beaten by store-bought pickles. So Andy, Barney and Opie eat all of the pickles in order to force Bee to make another batch of her own for the contest. Clara wins and the judges think Bee’s pickles taste like kerosene. Andy says he and Barney are just going to have to learn to like Bee’s pickles.

No comments:

Post a Comment