Tuesday 16 February 2021

Life Imitates Art


            On Monday morning I worked out the chords for the first verse of “Dépressive” by Serge Gainsbourg. I think all the verses are the same and the intro is also the same melody as the verses. 
            I took an early siesta at 11:30 and got up at 13:00. 
            I had kettle chips, salsa and yogourt for lunch. 
            I took a bike ride to Ossington and Bloor. 
            I finished memorizing “Mozart avec nous” (Mozart Is With Us) by Boris Vian but I had to return to it a couple of times during the day. I tend to allot just ten minutes a day to my Boris Vian projects but since this song was almost done it was bugging me to finish it. I checked briefly and saw that there are chords posted for the song as there usually are for any Boris Vian song. 
            I napped for another hour in the late afternoon because I didn’t have the energy to read unless I’d recharged my batteries.
            I finished re-reading “The Critic as Artist” and “The Decay of Lying” by Oscar Wilde. His idea in the second that life imitates art is interesting and I think he’s right. He means that our perception of the beauty of nature is entirely drawn from how we’ve experienced it in art. It’s also interesting that the word “race” in the 19th Century referred to different cultures rather than colours and so the English and the French were considered to be different races.
            I had a potato, a chicken wing, a chicken spine and some gravy while watching Andy Griffith. This story begins with Andy bringing in the four moonshiners the Gordon brothers. The two cells are full but then Otis comes in to sleep off his weekly drunk. The Gordons think Otis informed on them and that it’s why he stopped patronizing their business but Otis says it’s because their product quality went down and he also found a moonshiner that delivered. It becomes clear that if Otis is locked in either of the cells he will be beaten and so Andy takes Otis home. Otis’s sentence is for 24 hours and so when he wakes up with a hangover in the guest room he expects the same treatment he would normally get in jail, which would be to be allowed to stay in bed. But Aunt Bee insists on Otis getting up and doing chores. By the end of the day he is referring to Bee and Bloody Mary and her home as The Rock and he swears off drinking forever. Meanwhile Barney has gotten it into his head to try to rehabilitate the Gordon boys and he gives them each hobby kits to develop productive new talents. But the one with the metal craft kit makes a key and they escape. When they are recaptured Andy takes them to his place but Bee’s reputation has already spread and they beg not to be put on The Rock with Bloody Mary.

No comments:

Post a Comment