Thursday 20 July 2023

Arthur O'Connell


            On Wednesday morning I blog published "We Are So Impatient for Death" my translation of "Que tu es impatiente la mort" by Boris Vian. On Thursday I'll post it on Facebook on my page and on my Boris Vian page. 
            I memorized the second verse of "Ouvertures éclair" (Wounds That Zip Open) by Serge Gainsbourg and almost nailed down the third and final verse. I should have that done on Thursday. 
            I played my Kramer electric guitar during song practice in the last of four sessions. On Thursday I'll start two days of playing the Martin acoustic, then back to the Kramer for two days and so on. 
            I weighed 84.8 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday I went over to the hardware store and bought two new metal brushes. One toothbrush sized copper brush and one large steel bristled brush with a scraper. On the way home I ran into Dan Goorevitch who looked at the scraper and asked if I was going to do some scraping. I told him what I'm doing on the kitchen floor and he said he's done that. 
            I finished scrubbing and scraping the glue from where the sixth kitchen tile had been and almost finished getting it off from the seventh tile space in front of the stove. The big steel brush is effective and so in the next session I should have no problem getting the rest and may even have time to move the stove and get the remainder of the glue from under there. 
            I weighed 85 kilos before lunch. I had Breton crackers with five-year-old cheddar and a glass of half limeade and half orange juice. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I weighed 84.7 kilos at 17:00. 
            I chiseled some more fossils and freed up a pencil thick green root from the slate, but it broke in two. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:19. 
            I reviewed the videos of my performances of "Megaphor" that I recorded from June 11 to 13 of this year. On June 11 I played the electric and the first take was better than the second but it was dark. On June 12 and 13 I played the acoustic. I spent fifteen minutes each day on this but I still think June 8 is better. June 13 doesn't matter because this was the day I lost the Ableton audio recording when my computer got shut off. 
            In Audacity I worked on lowering the volume of sections of the instrumental for my song "Sleep in the Snow". I still don't know if what I'm doing will work in the long run but unlike muting, making a sound inaudible can always be reversed after it's been saved. 
            I finished scanning the negatives that the Toronto Star developed for me on May 21, 1988. I started on the colour negatives that are all the shots I took from my window, some of which I made into my Parkdale collage from which I made my book cover. 
            David came to my door and wanted the landlord's number because his fridge finally completely died, even though it's been in a coma for years. We're going for lunch on Saturday. 
            I made pizza on naan with Basilica sauce, honey garlic sausage, and five-year-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching season 3, episodes 14 and 15 of Petticoat Junction. 
            In the first story the Shady Rest hotel hasn't had a guest in over a month and then suddenly a Mr. Reynolds shows up. His arrival is a surprise because he didn't come on the train but rather took a bus, got off at the highway and took the very long walk to get to the hotel. He asks if he can rent the entire hotel for a week so he won't be disturbed. Joe finds him suspicious from the start and thinks he's a criminal. Then when he hears that a bank robber is on the loose and was last seen heading for Hooterville he is sure he has the reward in his pocket already. Reynolds is very charming and when Joe is trying to help Betty Joe with her algebra, Reynolds knows the answer out of his head. He's also a good harmonica player. Finally Joe confronts him about being a bank robber and Reynolds cooperates fully. Joe handcuffs him to the non-functioning elevator and then goes upstairs to search his room for the stolen money. Then he learns the robber has been captured. When he comes back down Reynolds is gone but he's left the money for his bill inside the handcuffs. Later they see in the paper that NASA has launched a new rocket and there's a picture of its designer, a Mr. Lawrence, who is identical to Reynolds. 
            Reynolds was played by Arthur O'Connell, whose first professional acting experience was onstage in The Patsy in 1929. He performed on Vaudeville in a group called Any Family. Starting in 1940 he began getting small parts in films. His first movie was Freshman Year. In the early 50s he performed in Picnic on Broadway and his film break came when he was cast to play the same character in a movie adaptation. He was nominated for an Academy Award for that performance and this led to bigger film roles. He co-starred in Bus Stop. He was nominated for an Oscar again for his part in Anatomy of a Murder. He co-starred in Kissin Cousins, 7 Faces of Dr. Lao, and The Hiding Place. He co-starred in the short-lived sitcom The Second Hundred Years.




            In the second story Bobbie Joe and Betty Joe have removed the labels from all the cans in the cupboard and the box tops from all the cereal and have entered several contests. One day they learn that they've won the tomato soup contest with the prize of one month of being served by an English butler. Faversham is incredibly efficient and does all of Kate's work before she has a chance but leaves her bored out of her mind. He also does all of Joe's work, leaving Joe time to plan to cash in on having an English butler. Joe organizes a fox hunt but can't find a fox and so he rents a raccoon from Newt Kylie. But the dog lets the raccoon out of the cage. Then Joe decides to make the dog the fox by fastening Kate's fox fur piece on top of it. The girls release the dog but when he runs into the hotel the hunting hounds chase him and wreak havoc. Kate changes it to an Uncle Joe hunt and sends everyone after him. Just as Faversham is leaving at the end of the month the girls win the Surfboard Pineapple contest and three Hawaiians arrive in traditional costume to stage a luau.

No comments:

Post a Comment